HALCYON wings: Traveler VS Traveler Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mako24

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! i'm new here :wink: I hope I will learn and get a lot of great advices on this board. I would like to ask to the expert here if you evere used one of these two wings and what are the differences? which one would you suggest? I saw that the Pro version is quite more expensive, is the additional money really worth it?

thanks! :wink:

[h=1]Halcyon Traveler BC System[/h]http://halcyon.net/bc/single/traveler

[h=1]Halcyon Traveler Pro BC System[/h]
Halcyon Traveler Pro BC System | Halcyon[h=1][/h]

The Traveler wing is it's own wing (30 lb of lift, looks single layer to me based on the one I've handled and the stitching), while the Traveler Pro appears to have an Eclipse wing (available as 30 lb or 40 lb, and dual bladders which are more abrasion resistant). I'm no expert though.

IMO, the traveler wing is a bit silly, and fills a niche in the market that doesn't really exist. If you want a lightweight plate to travel with, get a Halcyon eclipse with an aluminum plate (whole system is around 7-8 lbs with harness and wing). I recommend the removable STA chanel weight (6 lb) or some trim weight pockets if you foresee needing lots of ballast in the future. If you aren't wedded to Halcyon, most everyone makes a comparable Aluminum plate and wing as well. Light monkey even has a version of the STA with chanel weight now.

I dive with a Halcyon Eclipse 30lb with a SS plate and another 2lb in pockets for a 3mm/5mm hybrid wetsuit. I dive the plate alone in board shorts. It's served me well.

Also, I don't bother with that Cinch Crap. Get it adjusted, and don't fix (read: complicate) what isn't broken. I'm sure people will disagree with this though.

Last edited:
I love the cinch strap because I sometimes dive with a dive skin or 3ml and then dive drysuit on the next dive trip or even next dive in the lake if it cools off enough below the thermocline.
If you always wear the same exposure protection there's no need for it, although it does help in the beginning to get everything adjusted just the way you want it.

The Traveler wing looks very similar to the old Pioneer 27, which is a great wing. Too bad they don't sell it separately from that ridiculous Traveler system (and with the old integrated STA the Pioneer has).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom