Halcyon Wing inflator hose ? What works ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubbletrubble,

Your information about inflator hoses is incorrect. Do you want to call Corey at Halcyon at (800 HALCYON or info@halcyon.net) and find out that some of their inflators on their wings may not fit some so called "standard" inflator hoses. I think the original poster knows that and was trying to get advice on a hose.

Jim

I'm aware of two types of QD's used in scuba inflators, the Seatec and CEJN (not including rebreather connectors here, Swageloks etc).

Seatec style nipple is way more common, and generally what you should be looking for. I've only seen CEJNs on drysuit inflators. All Halcyon wings are Seatec, but unfortunately it seems that either the tolerances of the connection are originally spec'd too loose or the manufacturers are being sloppy - I've seen quite a few Seatec nipples and hoses not fitting together...

You'll just have to find out whether it's the hose or the nipple out of spec; both are easy to change.

//LN

It does and thanks a ton. The LDS my friend went to mentioned the "quick-disconnect fitting" on a Halcyon is bigger then standard and they even swaped out the BC hose on the rental reg he was getting. They even showed us how the one that was on the reg at the time would not fit, they fitted a new hose and told him that he may have to get a Halcyon one as others may not work if he were to buy one.
Mentioned this to another friend and he stated that he thought ONLY a Halcyon "quick-disconnect fitting" would work.
Form the responces there looks to be more options out there.
@bowtieman427: I suppose that it's possible that either your friend's Halcyon wing had a non-standard power inflater installed, the inflater hose on the demonstrated reg was non-standard, or the tolerance of the male nipple on the quick-disconnect fitting of the installed power inflater was out of specs (an issue described well by laurin in the previous post). If it is a machine spec tolerance issue and your friend purchased the wing new, he would seem to have a case for seeking replacement of the power inflater from Halcyon Customer Service. Even if he bought it secondhand, I suspect that Halcyon would simply send him a replacement power inflater. My experiences with Halcyon customer service have been very positive.

If Halcyon Customer Service is unwilling to replace the power inflater assembly, a new replacement K-style power inflater can be purchased from Northeastscubasupply.com for $25. It would be money well-spent.
Mr. Bubbletrubble,

Your information about inflator hoses is incorrect. Do you want to call Corey at Halcyon at (800 HALCYON or info@halcyon.net) and find out that some of their inflators on their wings may not fit some so called "standard" inflator hoses. I think the original poster knows that and was trying to get advice on a hose.

Jim
@eelpout: I want to thank you for raising this possibility. I am very serious about trying my best to disseminate accurate information in my SB posts. After all, I am just trying to be helpful.

Your last post made me question the accuracy of the info I've related in this thread. I am far from an expert on scuba inflater hose fittings, power inflater assembly construction/repair, and Halcyon gear. I'm just a recreational divebum who likes to know how to repair his stuff when it breaks, and I happen to own a Halcyon BC. From your profile info, it would seem that you have vastly more scuba experience than I.

That being said, your post provided the impetus for me to contact Halcyon Technical Services. I was informed that all Halcyon power inflaters (past and present) have standard quick-disconnect fittings. The company has never used proprietary fittings on their power inflaters. Furthermore, any standard inflater hose should work with the Halcyon power inflater. Coincidentally, Corey Smith was the one in Technical Services who shared this information. If you doubt the accuracy of this information (at least from your previous post you seemed to be convinced that I was wrong), I urge you to verify the info yourself by contacting Halcyon Technical Services directly.

If my previous posts sounded too heavy-handed (accusing the LDS of not being knowledgeable), I apologize for this. I'm going to extend them the benefit of the doubt with regard to knowing what types of inflater hoses mate up properly with certain power inflater assembly quick-disconnects. The LDS in question did have the equipment in front of them...and a simple trial-and-error approach would make the most sense in that case.

I also agree with your advice that a reasonable (and probably simplest) approach would be just to take the power inflater into the LDS and purchase an inflater hose that fits.

Given the info contained in this thread, it would be a pretty good assumption that a standard inflater hose should work with the OP's "new" Halcyon wing. It is a used gear purchase, however, so the possibility remains that one of the previous owners replaced the Halcyon power inflater with a non-standard power inflater.

Hope this post clarifies things...

All of my H wings (4) use standard diameter corrugated hoses. I've replaced the power inflator a few times with standard "off the shelf" units.

Generally all Halcyon Inflators will work with any standard BC LP Hose. Just a week ago, I ran into a similar issue in the shop (We are one of the top Halcyon Dealers). It appears that on 1 of our 8 wings the tolerances on the nipple were off. A Halcyon hose worked on all but XYZ hose didn't. I brought this to Halcyon's attention and they are already on the situation. One great aspect of Halcyon is that they listen to their dealers and don't give us the standard "you are the only ones with this problem," and denying issues. We are experiencing these kind or little things with parts and products with a couple of Manufacturers.

Two options:
1. Replace with Halcyon BC hose
2. Call me, I will get new inflator and check it at the shop. We'll make sure a Miflex will fit and use a Miflex hose, much softer and nicer for travel.

I think the shop is trying to take you for a ride. I have fitted Oceanic, Scbabro, Mares and Cressi BCD inflator hoses to my H wing, no problem. I think you have a previously modified connector.

Half the people in this thread are talking about the corrugated hose that connects the inflator to the wing and the other half are talking about the LP hose that connects the firsta stage regulator to the inflator

I can understand the confusion because I'm not sure which one the OP is referring to either, although I think it make be the latter

The Halcyon LP inflator hose uses a 'standard' 3/8" UNF fitting on the first stage end and a 'standard' quick-connect fitting on the inflator end, and can be swapped for any 'standard' hose with the same fittings

HTH

Hey Mr. Bubbletrubble,

If everyone on the internet were this courteous, well researched, well reasoned, intelligent and caring as you as demonstrated in this reply (below), the whole world would be a happy, serene, and fun place to live.

This is the opposite of most posts of a political nature, and the opposite attitude of a lot of SB replies.

I cannot thank you enough for demonstrating humanity, humility, and thoughtful writing.

Great job. I wish everyone would reply to everything like you did. :):):) and a few :D:D:D

Thanks.

OceansideOcean

@bowtieman427: I suppose that it's possible that either your friend's Halcyon wing had a non-standard power inflater installed, the inflater hose on the demonstrated reg was non-standard, or the tolerance of the male nipple on the quick-disconnect fitting of the installed power inflater was out of specs (an issue described well by laurin in the previous post). If it is a machine spec tolerance issue and your friend purchased the wing new, he would seem to have a case for seeking replacement of the power inflater from Halcyon Customer Service. Even if he bought it secondhand, I suspect that Halcyon would simply send him a replacement power inflater. My experiences with Halcyon customer service have been very positive.

If Halcyon Customer Service is unwilling to replace the power inflater assembly, a new replacement K-style power inflater can be purchased from Northeastscubasupply.com for $25. It would be money well-spent.

@eelpout: I want to thank you for raising this possibility. I am very serious about trying my best to disseminate accurate information in my SB posts. After all, I am just trying to be helpful.

Your last post made me question the accuracy of the info I've related in this thread. I am far from an expert on scuba inflater hose fittings, power inflater assembly construction/repair, and Halcyon gear. I'm just a recreational divebum who likes to know how to repair his stuff when it breaks, and I happen to own a Halcyon BC. From your profile info, it would seem that you have vastly more scuba experience than I.

That being said, your post provided the impetus for me to contact Halcyon Technical Services. I was informed that all Halcyon power inflaters (past and present) have standard quick-disconnect fittings. The company has never used proprietary fittings on their power inflaters. Furthermore, any standard inflater hose should work with the Halcyon power inflater. Coincidentally, Corey Smith was the one in Technical Services who shared this information. If you doubt the accuracy of this information (at least from your previous post you seemed to be convinced that I was wrong), I urge you to verify the info yourself by contacting Halcyon Technical Services directly.

If my previous posts sounded too heavy-handed (accusing the LDS of not being knowledgeable), I apologize for this. I'm going to extend them the benefit of the doubt with regard to knowing what types of inflater hoses mate up properly with certain power inflater assembly quick-disconnects. The LDS in question did have the equipment in front of them...and a simple trial-and-error approach would make the most sense in that case.

I also agree with your advice that a reasonable (and probably simplest) approach would be just to take the power inflater into the LDS and purchase an inflater hose that fits.

Given the info contained in this thread, it would be a pretty good assumption that a standard inflater hose should work with the OP's "new" Halcyon wing. It is a used gear purchase, however, so the possibility remains that one of the previous owners replaced the Halcyon power inflater with a non-standard power inflater.

Hope this post clarifies things...

Back
Top Bottom