Halcyon vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Does OMS allow authorized and warranted sales online?

Hi Ford,

Yes I can sell OMS online as much as I want. I just can't "advertise" it below MAP. That doesn't mean that a coupon code or "Group discount" won't bring the price down. And since I am an authorized dealer, you get a full warranty.

BTW, I'm not trying to hardsell you or anything, just giving you the facts.

Cheers :D

I got my OMS setup from a store in Miami (Austins), they sell H, DR, OMS, and they got in stock most setups, I could compare materials side by side at the moment of purchase and IMO OMS was the strongest of them all.

After 300+ salt water dives, it looks like new except for the embroided logos that started deteriorating from day one, and one boat paint stain the size of a dime on the bladder outer shell, even the bungies have held up to the use. Of course, I pamper all my gear and take good care of it after every dive, my girfriend says I'm obsessed with cleaning my gear.

I also have a DR TPII with the travel wings, this setup is rarely used, mostly for traveling due to packing efficiency with the DR rig.

willardj:
You should have asked her to share that good stuff she was smoking.

She wasn't smoking anything.. but the shop owner was most likely.

Good to know, in case I should ever find myself in need of some OMS gear.

Mike Edmonston:
Hi Ford,

Yes I can sell OMS online as much as I want. I just can't "advertise" it below MAP. That doesn't mean that a coupon code or "Group discount" won't bring the price down. And since I am an authorized dealer, you get a full warranty.

BTW, I'm not trying to hardsell you or anything, just giving you the facts.

Cheers :D

Advokat:
Does it really matter what brand you get in technical diving or are they all simillar to each other?
Among ‘major’ brands there are probably more similarities than dissimilarities, as far as quality and performance goes. There is a lot of good gear out there. As an example, I use OMS, a Dive Rite and an off-brand (homemade, not by me) SS backplates. They are all very functional, no discernible differences. I happen to have one set up for my drysuit, another for a wetsuit. But, I imagine I would also be happy with a H, a Deep Sea Supply, etc. Among wings, there are some design differences, which may commend one wing (and manufacturer) to you for a particular application, more than others. It doesn’t mean one brand is ‘better’, only that a particular design may suit your particular needs better.
David P:
there is a difference in design, performance, and quality. OMS 94 lb dual bladder bungeed wing vs Halcyon 50lb evolve are two completely different wings, about as different as you can get.
Particularly interesting examples to juxtapose. You are right about these two being noticeably different, at least in terms of design and performance. I have never been quite sure of the situation in which the OMS 94 would be the optimal wing – not saying there isn’t one, only that I have not figured it out.
NorthWoodsDiver:
Keep yourself open to trying all kinds of plates and wings. Deep sea supply, golem, halcyon, OMS, dive rite, oxycheq and many other make good gear.
Great recommendation! There are a number of good brands out there, and part of the learning process in diving is to experiment with equipment, to see if different designs, or brands, work better for you.

PerroneFord:
Interesting. I've found OMS to be somewhat more expensive than Halcyon at retail. I remember a friend telling me that she had found an OMS SS backplate (bare plate) for sale at her LDS. When I inquired the price, she said it was $275. Without the webbing.
According to the dealer price list for 06-07, MSRP on an OMS SS BP is $175. The MSRP on the AL BP is $82.62.

On the other hand, if you go to the Extreme Exposure website and click though to the online sales at divegear.com you'll find they sell the Halcyon SS BP for $205 and the AL BP for $185.

:14:

I have both wing and I would say my fav is the OMS 60lb wing. The reason is the OMS wing fits my OMS ss bp and the wing just trims out very nice. I have a big problem with being feet heavy since im 6'6". But I do agree with PerroneFord about them being very close.
my set up
OMS bp
OMS 60lb non bung wing
doubles 130hp
OMS slipsteem fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom