Halcyon vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is a difference in design, performance, and quality.
OMS 94 lb dual bladder bungeed wing vs Halcyon 50lb evolve are two completely different wings, about as different as you can get. Look at the shape of the wings https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=wings the different shapes will affect your trim. some wings are realy big at the bottom giving you more lift at the hips while other wings give you more lift up higher by the manifold. There are some inexpensive wings that are of ok to questionable quality, there are good solid quality wings (DSS) and then there are some that seem ridiculous (Oxycheq Extreme, you can see video of them being sliced up with razor blades and being unaffected)
If you have to stick with one of only these two brands... I would go with the Halcyon anyday over OMS

Both make quality equipment...the one with the blue H is prettier of course but not worth the difference in price.

Cheers.

-J.-

johnny_bravo:
Both make quality equipment...the one with the blue H is prettier of course but not worth the difference in price.

Cheers.

-J.-

Interesting. I've found OMS to be somewhat more expensive than Halcyon at retail. I remember a friend telling me that she had found an OMS SS backplate (bare plate) for sale at her LDS. When I inquired the price, she said it was $275. Without the webbing.

PerroneFord:
Interesting. I've found OMS to be somewhat more expensive than Halcyon at retail. I remember a friend telling me that she had found an OMS SS backplate (bare plate) for sale at her LDS. When I inquired the price, she said it was $275. Without the webbing.

Maybe at MSRP, but what does that really mean in the real world? Nothing. Online, the OMS backplates are about $150-175, as far as I can remember.

I have an OMS rig on the way...AL BP/32 lb. single tank wing. i dive 7mm wet and a single steel. Believe-you-me, I was itching in all the secret DIR parts of my body for that sexy Halcyon Eclipse, and would still LOVE to have one, but upon further investigation the OMS seemed quite comparable and my LDS can't get Halcyon and is getting me a great deal on the OMS.

I think the Halcyon stuff might be the more durable of the two, in all honesty. They use 1680 denier shells for the wings, which is seriously thick nylon. The OMS claim to fame is that while they still only use maybe 1050 denier, they have a full 5 ounces of urethane coating the inside, which really does make a difference. In the end they are probably both as durable as one can get. -tadd

seiff:
Maybe at MSRP, but what does that really mean in the real world? Nothing. Online, the OMS backplates are about $150-175, as far as I can remember.

Well, if you wish to purchase at the LDS, or are unaware of buying online, then MSRP is what you're going to pay. Does OMS allow authorized and warranted sales online?

seiff:
In the end they are probably both as durable as one can get. -tadd

Which is why I noted that both are likely quite similar.

Why restrict yourself to those brands. I just got my plate from FredT and its great and half the cost of the OMS which is almost exactly the same design. Hammerhead also makes that same design for a bit more that FredT but they finish the plate for you I think. There is no reason to restrict yourself to one company. I use a FredT stainless 9 pound plate with 60 pound OMS wing for doubles and a FredT 9 pound plate and 30 pound oms wing for singles.

The companies have standardized hole patterns and mounts so that everyones wings are compatable with everyone elses plates. Most companies use similar materials so durability is similar along price ranges. Keep yourself open to trying all kinds of plates and wings. Deep sea supply, golem, halcyon, OMS, dive rite, oxycheq and many other make good gear.

PerroneFord:
You should have asked her to share that good stuff she was smoking.

I dive the OMS al plate and comfort. har. I payed less than $150. And use the DR classic wing.

Hey Perrone it was nice meeting you this weekend. Thanks for showing Mat and I around madison Sat.

You may be right Perrone as I've never walked into a store selling OMS i've bought it online from authorized dealers (they are even listed on the OMS site).

I've compared it to my recent purchase of a single tank wing, SS STA, SS BP and harness (all OMS) and then compared it to some friends who have purchased the same setup but with Blue Hs...the difference was almost $200USD.

Cheers.

-J.-

PerroneFord:

I have both OMS & Halcyon backplates with Halcyon wings. :)

I don't see or feel a big difference in plates.

I used all OMS gear because I worked in a shop that sold OMS products. I found I liked the Halcyon wings better after using someone elses. I can't explain exactly what I liked better but I didn't think it trapped air and was easier to dump than my OMS.

NorthWoodsDiver:
Why restrict yourself to those brands.

Mostly because this thread is titled "HALCYON vs OMS".

Perrone: I do believe that OMS licenses to online retailers, as there are some listed on thier dealer list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom