Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very thorough response from @Zef. A few things that I’ll add:

- Everyone that I’ve met with a Halcyon BP/W is happy with it. On the flip side...everyone that I’ve met with a “budget” BP/W (ex. HOG, Deep 6, DGX, etc.) is happy with it...provided the wing has internal cylinder stabilization/roll control. I believe that’s standard for most, but you’ll want to check for that.

-As Zef said...it’s common for people (myself included) to start with a fancy padded BP/W and then transition to one that isn’t. I slowly started removing the padded pieces from my HOG custom/premium/whatever they called it. I eventually ditched the fancy webbing and went to one piece Hogarthian webbing.

-I’ve currently got a 32lb HOG wing mounted to a 5lb Dive Rite stainless steel plate with Hogarthian webbing. The 32lb wing is more than enough lift to run a HP100 or HP120 plus an AL40.

-Buy what you want to buy in a BP/W. You’re the one that has to be happy with it. Just saying that all of the mainstream BP/W setups that I’ve checked out in person (ex. HOG, Dive Rite, Deep Six, OMS, Halcyon, DGX, etc.) are well made and I wouldn’t hesitate to dive any of them.
This is so true... this migration from fancy stuff to Hogarthian webbing. Its not an unusual journey to go from a back inflated integrated BCD, to a BP/W with buckles and adjustments, and finally ending up with a one-piece webbing. One of the first things to go is the chest strap too. Last summer I bought a Halcyon BP with one-piece webbing, and I am super happy with it. I used an OMS III for a few years before this one, good stuff. I have a SS plate, as I find this works best for me. I'm 5'10", 167 lb, and that rig set up with a 40 lb bladder works perfectly with steel 100 twinset and drysuit in the ocean; or with a single steel 117 and some 8lb. I have a second 30 lb bladder that I use in the tropics with that same harness and BP, and a 3 mil wetsuit: the higher buoyancy of an AL 80 tank is offset in part by the steel plate. Best of both worlds. My recco for you: try and test what is gonna work for you, and what gives you confidence and makes you feel good.

OMS makes a pocketed back pad that slips onto the plate. You can slide 4, 2# weights into those pockets. The Aluminum plate is nice and light for travel, and has the stability and modularity that you look for in a Backplate & Wing system. The quality is excellent. Customer service is easy and excellent. Here is the link to this sweet setup. Just pick the wing that you want: DUI | Drysuits & Diving Equipment from Diving Unlimited International

I would get a steel plate for around here.

I have no experience with OMS. I do have a halycon though and would recommend them based on the way they stand behind and replace items no longer under official warranty.

As for reg I have a very lightly used core supreme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom