Halcyon Spring Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shin1999

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I just purchased a Halcyon Spring Strap and have question.
Im struggling:confused: to figure how to "brad the ends of the retaining pins with a hammer and a metal punch by mushrooming the end of the pin slightly so that there is no way the pin can be pulled free from the clasp" as instructed in the manual. Can any one provide more detailed/effective procedures on mushrooming the end of the pin so that it will provide less chance for straps to be coming off.

Thank you very much.

Another option is just not to do it. I've had my H spring straps for a year now and they've never come out. If you'd like, take a large pair of pliers and squish the two bars towards the rubber inbetween so that there's plenty of extra space on the metal retaining bar so they won't come off.

shin1999:
Hi I just purchased a Halcyon Spring Strap and have question.
Im struggling:confused: to figure how to "brad the ends of the retaining pins with a hammer and a metal punch by mushrooming the end of the pin slightly so that there is no way the pin can be pulled free from the clasp" as instructed in the manual. Can any one provide more detailed/effective procedures on mushrooming the end of the pin so that it will provide less chance for straps to be coming off.

Thank you very much.

You need to "peen" the end of the rod. To peen a rivet (what you have is essentially a long double ended rivet) you need to "buck" of back up the end opposite with a heavy hard object, a chunk of steel, the side of another large hammeretc. The kitchen counter or dining room table are not ideal:wink:

With a long slender rivet you need to be careful not to bend it. Keep the pin verticle with respect to the buck.

Use many small blows, not one or two big hits. You can easily peen these pins with just "taps" from hammer, as long as you use a lot of them, and keep repositioning the punch. Do one end and then flip it over and do the other.

By the time you get to 2nd end of the 4th pin you'll be a pro.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom