Halcyon Scout light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mokkaran

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm quiet new for the DIR dive sytem and have one question on the Scout light. Can the scout light be used as the primary light during the recreational night dive?

Mokkaran once bubbled...
Hi there, I'm quiet new for the DIR dive sytem and have one question on the Scout light. Can the scout light be used as the primary light during the recreational night dive?
It COULD be, but it's nowhere near optimum. The bulb is underdriven for better reliability, but that means less light. The beam is tightly focussed so that it is good for signalling your buddy, but that isn't ideal for a primary.

Mokkaran once bubbled...

You can choose to use any light as a primary for night diving but using a light as small as this with a beam as small as this is certainly not a good idea.

why would you want to :confused:

sheck33 once bubbled...
You can choose to use any light as a primary for night diving but using a light as small as this with a beam as small as this is certainly not a good idea.

why would you want to :confused:
Maybe he's broke after buying the Scout :mean:

I typically take 3 lights. A real primary -- often rented locally when traveling; a 4AA UK Q40 or the 2 DL123 lithium equivalent that I normally use for looking into nooks and crannies during the day; and a 2 AAA cell minilight from Underwater Kinetics. In clear water I'll use the rather broad beamed but dim 2AAA cell light for most of the dive (after warning my buddy). I see a lot more when I'm not blinding the fish, and by using a light dim enough that I can still see a lot using moonlight.

The bright primary is good for illuminating the surface while ascending, and is good for lower vis waters.

Mokkaran once bubbled...

Well if your gonna use your back up light as a primary light on a night dive, what are you gonna use for a back up light should your back up light that your using as a primary light take a dump.:D

Be sure you carry at least two lights on a night dive. The scout is meant to be a reliable back up. The bulb is not overdriven meaning it doesnt produce a ton of light but is made simple and reliable to work when you need it.

Mokkaran once bubbled...
...but there are much brighter lights for much less for recreational diving. The Scout is not intended to be used as a primary - it simply isn't bright enough. A little 4 AA cell Princeton Tec 40 puts out more light, and costs far less.

The purpose of a backup light is a guaranteed-to-work, fresh-batteries light that is there when you need it. The Scout is not a bright light - it's designed to provide enough illumination to get your butt out of wherever you find yourself with a broken primary light. You could use one for night diving, but for $80 or whatever they retail for nowadays, you could buy a nice bright 8 C cell primary (or 2 if you buy online!) and have 5 times as much light available. Buy a Scout (or one of its clones) as a backup, and don't use it until you need to.

does anyone remember we there are pictures of Scout Lights and the cave rope to boltsnap attachments, I just got my light and wish to fix it up but cant remember where it was that I saw the photos.

blackice once bubbled...
does anyone remember we there are pictures of Scout Lights and the cave rope to boltsnap attachments, I just got my light and wish to fix it up but cant remember where it was that I saw the photos.
Try this Location

It's really not hard. I like to add some glue to the knot once your done with the trimming and melting the ends. Seems to make it very tight.

ABQdiver once bubbled...

Try this Location

It's really not hard. I like to add some glue to the knot once your done with the trimming and melting the ends. Seems to make it very tight.

Fantastic, it just what I was looking for.. now time to do my light and then I'm all set for the weekend ... heading off for a weeks live aboard in Manardo... :)

Back
Top Bottom