Halcyon Scout light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't have any light I guess a Scout will do. Not really what it was designed for though. And that price--phwee! It's like Oakley sunglasses, at $100 a pair you lose them all the time. But you get that $10 pair, you can't give them away.

Ok back from a 22 dive liveaboard in Manado, fantastic time and some great diving.

But back to the Scout Light, I recieved my first just before I went away.

I had the chance to use it as my main light went low on batteries, I found it to be quite strong and up to the task.

It's not a wide a beam as teh main light but it will get you ouit of situation, I also found that on wreck dives it does not have the penetration power of a main light, it is a short range light.

So if you needed a light for open water with good vis then it could work for close objects and fish, but not for exploring inside the wrecks, well not too well.

=-)

Blackice...
Thank you so much for your useful information on the scout light. After all, I better buy the scout as the back up light. Anyway, how was your trip to Manado? I'm planning to go there soon. Anything interesting there? Visibility, Big fish or Macro? Any advices would be appreciated.

The trip was great, weather sunny until the last day, we mainly saw macro stuff :-( .. I tend to like wideangle stuff. But Lembeh was cool, muck diving to the extreme.

Small small stuff .. like manadrin fish, frog fish, pygmy seahorse, and normal seahorse, flounder, nudibranches (lots) and heaps of lion fish, stone fish , puffer and box fish and more.

Only a few eagle rays, but a great wreck at Lembeh, very interesting inside, 3 stories high or more and there were lobistars inside.

The under water volcano at Mahangetang was very cool, hard current , we were pulling our selves over the rocks, we saw yellow rock (from the sulpher) and the warm bubbles :)

=-)

I have used the scout as a primary on a night dive but bear in mind there was quite a lot of ambient light from the bright moon!!

try using the frogman ledlensers. i have two and use am as primaries and backups they cost $55 and are almost 10 times as strong as the scouts. they dont look as bulletproof though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom