Halcyon Proteus 10w Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel once bubbled...
Mine wouldn't strike for one of the night dives in Bonaire. It was two days before I decided to take apart the lighthead and have a look. Like O-ring said, I used scouts for two night dives because of it.

The bezel was a little bit loose which might have caused the striking problems. I took it apart. Let everything sit out for 12hrs, made sure it was clean and put it back together. Worked fine for the rest of the trip.

It could have been worse. It could have completely flooded and the bulb could have broken.

I'm still not quite sure how the bezel became loose. I should really blame myself for not checking before the dive - I just didn't think of it as I'd used it 7-8 time before without problems, including on that trip.
I forgot you took it apart and fixed it...

I have learned the hard way : don't assume that because it is made by Halcyon it is perfect (or will work). my 18w HID/helios 9 combo flooded the first dive, thru the bulb o rings. The reason? The test tube was out of tolerance, oops! sorry dude!

Now you guys have got me nervous. I just received my Stealth Canister Light from Dan at DJS Technical, including the very last Halcyon 10W head that he was able to procure from them. As soon as I've had a chance to put some dives on it, I'll post a review. Lucky for me, he DOES pressure test to 400ft before shipping, so I'm hoping to be problem free.

Jeff, it sure does sound like you got screwed on how Halcyon treated you, especially considering how much you must have spent on that 18W Can Light. Have you negotiated with customer service?

And SG, was your semi-flood due to the bezel not being screwed in tightly? Was the bulb damp or sloshing with saltwater?

Curious,

Rick

It wasn't that loose. It definitely screwed off much more quickly than I expected. There were a few water dropletsaround the o-ring & lens on the inside. I didn't see any on the bulb or near anything that looked important. But it also took me 2 days to work up the nerve to take apart the lighthead without a manual or anyone close by with knowlege of such things.

I'm guessing that if salt water caused the striking problems, the bulb or the ballast would be shot. (Just a guess, I'm not a light expert) It think the problem was it wasn't screwed down tight enough and the bulb wasn't held well enough in the socket. (the bulb doesn't screw in, it is set in & held with a spring & bezel if I remember correctly.)

GearHead once bubbled...

And SG, was your semi-flood due to the bezel not being screwed in tightly? Was the bulb damp or sloshing with saltwater?

Rick

Kind of funny about the trip. The light seemed to survive but I managed to destroy the battery charger. It slipped out of my hands unpacking after I got home and hit something pretty hard! Its dead.

Cheapest part to replace at least!

sillygrendel once bubbled...
Kind of funny about the trip. The light seemed to survive but I managed to destroy the battery charger. It slipped out of my hands unpacking after I got home and hit something pretty hard! Its dead.

Cheapest part to replace at least!
Luckily for me, when I passed through TSA security with my light they mistook me for an airplane mechanic and got out of my way thinking I was carrying the fuselage of a 737...

Just got back from the Keys with mine. Dan attached it to a Stealth Light canister. It worked great in the Keys and is still working fine; just tested it in the sink to make sure.

Mike

DITTO! :lol:

lal7176 once bubbled...

You are to funny sometimes...:D

I just sat down and took apart the lighthead again to double check a couple of things.

How tight the bezel is should have nothing to do with why mine wasn't striking. Could be the bulb was loose.

What I thought was stranger was that after I took out the bulb, etc... I could see what appeared to be the screw for the goodman handle. I took off the handle and sure enough, it goes straight through! That seems kind of wrong... No o-ring or anything... Is the inside are there floodable? If so why the oring on the bezel.

Or do I just have a messed up light and didn't notice 'til now.

Are your lights the same way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom