Halcyon NiMH Charger Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plug it into the wall. The red light is on when the batt isn't hooked up.

Hook up batt, it goes yellow, until done.

Then the green one comes on until you remove the batt, then it goes back to red.

Unless there's been a design change, the red light doesn't ever come on when the batt is actually hooked up.

Remember to charge the batt. :D

3 dives today, perfect performance. You'll dig it.

MHK had a Halcyon koozie (you've seen mine.) He said he got if from Brownies...any truth to that rumor?

So the new light gets the SS bolt snap - brass for the silo. Guys - we always do treat the newer and smaller trophies better.

Does this mean a new profile pic? You know I'm bummed about losing my muse in the 747.... I'm not happy about this.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Does this mean a new profile pic? You know I'm bummed about losing my muse in the 747.... I'm not happy about this.

K

Your muse indeed! Ken, you should be happy for all of the mileage you got out of that Trident Submarine Hull. For the record, the Mortadella version will remain an all-timer for me. :D

Plugged light in and started it - set timer for an hour and a half. Checked light, then reset for another hour and a half, checking every 10 mins. Came in at the 2 hour mark, and the light was dead.

Results - approx. 120 mins

I am recharging the battery and then will test again..

I talked to Halcyon and the charger is normal. They want me to do another burn test to see if I get anywhere near 120 mins again...if I do, they want to take a look at the battery since I should be getting a lot longer burn times than that.

The ballast is regulated on the 18w and should shut itself down around 9.9-9.8 to protect the system.

Green light vs red light can be triggered by temperature. If the battery gets warm, the charger will snap back into "red light" mode to protect the battery from overheating. If that happens, you can disconnect and reconnect the battery when it cools to keep charging, but the battery should have been fully charged when the green light came on indicating it was done. The "green light" mode is a maintenance charge that pulses the battery to keep it full, but, like I said, if it overheats, the circuitry will shut it down to avoid damaging the battery.

They also said the battery should not need a few cycles before it reaches its peak burntime (at least it shouldn't start with 50% and work it's way up). At this point, I think they suspect my battery pack is defective, but I will do another burn test with a multimeter tonight to make sure.

Will report results of test tonight.

What up?

Did you get it wet, yet?

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
What up?

Did you get it wet, yet?

K
Nope, light is dead. The second burn test was shorter than the first (114 mins), so the battery and charger were shipped back to Halcyon.

I haven't heard anything from them yet.

I am so bummed for you.

I've never done the multi-meter type of test. I just charged it, dropped it in a bucket, then let it rock for awhile. Hope mine is OK.

I'd love to read about it when its burning for ya. I've never see the 18 - you gotta post.

K

It was the battery...a new one is on the way from Halcyon. Will post results of this burn test too.

This seems to be pretty common problem with Nimh batteries.

I've bought sets for my camera before now that simply will not hold a charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom