Halcyon Infinity vs. Carbon Adventurer PLUS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yubin Li

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I am considering to buy the above bc and would like to ask some questions to help me make the decision

Some basic fact about me: I am 166cm/5ft. 5 tall, 65kg/143Ibs weight. I am new to diving with less than 30 dives. I just finish my AOW and plan to dive in warm water and travel to live aboard (mainly tropical weather). I normally dive with 3mm wetsuit even in tropical water. In the future, I may want to go into Tech level, but nothing confirm yet.

Size of Back plate - Halcyon offer small back plate on SS and AL but not on carbon. For my size, do I need small plate?

Weight - Since I will only use my bcd when I am traveling, I really love the lightness of carbon plate. But the ACB pocket can only hold about 10 Ibs in total, will the carbon PLUS provide enough space for me to put weight in?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Yubin

One more follow up question

If choose 40 Ibs wing, does that mean I can use the same wing if I go to double tank?

40lb Halcyon wing is for singles. You have to get a wider wing for doubles.

I have the Halcyon. Love it. But if you’re only using it for tropical, 40lb wing is overkill. It’s not overkill for my cold water diving - drysuit, sfeel tanks, lots of lead.

I’m 5’5” and I have no issues at all with the standard Halcyon plate.

I am 5’4” and have tried both standard and short plates. I’m one of those people that are smack in the middle. Both plates seem to work fine for me. Since you’re taller than me, I think a standard would be better for you, unless you’re particularly narrow at the shoulders.

But the ACB pocket can only hold about 10 Ibs in total, will the carbon PLUS provide enough space for me to put weight in?
If you’re diving in a 3mm with steel tanks you need no weight to descend, or shouldn’t...

If you’re diving with AL tanks, you’ll still need very little. I wouldn’t bother with the pockets because it clutters up the sides of the harness and you don’t need it. Just put the weight on the cam and straps that hold tank or on simple weight belt.
Dont bother with carbon. It’s way too expensive. Kydex or plastic will do the same job but isn’t as nice. Or just get AL, I would.

You are looking for a 20lb Wing, nothing more. If you get into doubles later on, you will have to get a 40lb Wing, standard wing won’t work with the width of the twins.

Don’t get the halcyon infinity, I’d recommend the standard Eclipse with standard harness.

Ask as many as as you want.

It doesn’t matter how tall you are.

Measure your torso length to pick a plate size.

It doesn’t matter how tall you are.

Measure your torso length to pick a plate size.

While I agree that torso length is important, how will OP know what length torso corresponds to which size plate? Don’t manufacturers use height as a general guide?

While I agree that torso length is important, how will OP know what length torso corresponds to which size plate? Don’t manufacturers use height as a general guide?
Halcyon specifies the length of the backplate sizes. I’ve never heard of carbon but other makers also specify the length of their sizes.

I dive Halcyon Infinity and love it. I’m 6 feet and the standard AL plate fits me perfectly. It’s possible that it might be uncomfortably long for you. Best if you can try one on. Second best, call or write Halcyon with your torso measurement. They were very responsive to my questions.

Some divers prefer other BPW manufacturers because Halcyon is pricey, but no one makes a higher quality product.

Opinions differ as to whether it’s good to have some ditch able weight. When I read DAN accident reports it seems that in at least some cases, ditching weight might have offered a better chance of survival. You can buy weight pockets now or later if you decide you want them. If you are diving AL80 with 3 mil, you might want the STA with weight bar. This puts 6 pounds of weight in a balanced location down your spine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom