Halcyon harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTWarrenG

Reaction score
I have a DiveRite backplate, which came with the "normal" rather stiff 2" webbing. It unfortunately also had a cheesy 1" crotch strap with no D-rings, so I swapped it out with a 2" Halcyon crotch strap. When I got the crotch strap, I immediately noticed it was much, much softer than the stiff 2" webbing DiveRite sold me.

My question: Is the Halcyon harness ALL soft, like the crotch strap, or is the crotch strap the only soft piece of webbing?

I can immediately see how the softer webbing would immediately translate to more comfy warmwater diving (when you don't have the 7mil of wetsuit padding to protect the shoulders). However, the softer webbing would probably also be a little annoying, because it would easily twist up on the shoulder.

So what's the deal?

- Warren

The shoulder webbing (the big single length webbing) should be as stiff as you can get it (yes, Halcyon uses the stiff webbing). The crotch strap should be the softer stuff. The stiff webbing doesn't translate into less comfort. As a matter of fact, stiff webbing makes it easier to doff and donn the rig.

Mike

PS. I use a 1" crotch strap which came with my Halcyon rig.

Mike,

As always, thanks. I think my rig is DONE! Well, until I get those doubles.... :D

PS. I use a 1" crotch strap which came with my Halcyon rig.

Tsk, tsk, tsk... you poor stroke. :wink:

- Warren

I have the OMS SSback plate and the webing is very stiff too. I just order the halcyon explorer wing today, i am using the OMS SS back plate with it. From what i read on the boards i had to go check one out, lucky for me Divers Discount is 2 blocks from me and i liked what i saw, so i odered it. $319.00 wing without harness and backplate for those interested. I think its a good price.

TMD

Originally posted by trymixdiver
I have the OMS SSback plate and the webing is very stiff too. I just order the halcyon explorer wing today, i am using the OMS SS back plate with it. From what i read on the boards i had to go check one out, lucky for me Divers Discount is 2 blocks from me and i liked what i saw, so i odered it. $319.00 wing without harness and backplate for those interested. I think its a good price.

TMD

Good deal Try...you'll like it...
Warren...keep a stiff upper strap...
And Yoop... about that 1" crotch strap....
Hook a Gavin to that and you'll know why...
2" soft is preferred :wink:

warren,

Based on my experience the 1" is more comfortable to dive with if you are not scootering. It is easier to have the strap in a position that will not interfere with the "package".

FYI, GI has 1", 1.5" and 2" crotch straps.

I could ask any number of DIR details about your gear config that you would probably not have correct. It might be wise to lay off of the name calling.

omar

omar,

Hold your horses -- see that winking smilie? That means I was ribbing Mike. I feel comfortable that Mike realizes I was ribbing him. I don't call people names, at least not because of diving dress.

BTW, I like the 1" strap too, comfort-wise, but it didn't have D-rings... I really like clipping off my reel to the rear D-ring...

- Warren

I can take a ribbin' :D. Don't sweat it guys :wink:.

UP, I tell what...you buy me a Gavin, and I'll get a 2" crotch strap :D.

Mike

Originally posted by trymixdiver

TMD

Trymixdiver,
MSRP for the explorer is $338.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom