Halcyon harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was first time i went into the shop, seams like i they are treating me right considering i never bought a thing there before.

Good to see i didnt have to bring the KY to this shop :)

i will be ordering from then again, my wish list is becoming reality bit by bit :)

TMD

The2" soft stuff is readily avialable almost anywhere in the US, And it comes in a vast assortment of colors!

The local junkyard has cars of almost every color and description, and almost all of them have 15 or 20 feet of "soft" webbing in the form of seat belt strapping. At my local "U-Pull it" scrap yard the price is between $.50 pr _set_ and free, if I pull it from the cars scheduled for the crusher in a few days and am picking up a part for one of my vehicles. 15 minutes with a sharp knife followed by giving it a stint in the washing machine provided more webbbing than I could use in a lifetime. GM's with the "door mounted" automatic seat belts provide the longest lengths.

For some odd reason the ladies I've talked to that use a plate with a drysuit prefer the stiffer webbing for the crotch strap. Seems it doesn't "migrate" into tender areas as much. Males and those not using drysuits or heavy wetsuits seem to like the softer stuff. I provide enough hard in the kits to make a crotch strap, or a weight belt if the customer wants to build a soft crotch strap. the hardware will work on either type.

FT

You know, I considered the seatbelt material too... it's soft, stronger than hell, and readily available. Are there any drawbacks? It's a little slick, so I'd imagine D-ring retainers like to slide around a little too readily... and the twisting issue would be common to any soft webbing... but are there any other drawbacks? I guess your dive buddies would start calling you Buick or Beater, though, and that would count as a drawback, too.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Are there any drawbacks? It's a little slick, so I'd imagine D-ring retainers like to slide around a little too readily... and the twisting issue would be common to any soft webbing... but are there any other drawbacks? I guess your dive buddies would start calling you Buick or Beater, though, and that would count as a drawback, too.

- Warren

The seatbelt stuff is a little thinner than standard, so it takes an "adjustable" buckly like the _old_ Scubapro. It has a "tongue" of metal that the catch lever uses to pinch the web. This tongue can be bent slightly upwards and it catches the web well enough for me to hang off of. The sharp corners of my hardware catches it securely. Jeanne likes her shoulder straps to slide through the waist slots of her plate to "snug up" the harness, and the seatbelt stuff works for that, with considerable file and sandpaper work onthe plate slots.

Never be afraid of visually distinctive gear. it makes you easy to identify U/W, and keeps your gear from going home in someone else's bag if diving off a crowded cattleboat. Always rememberDive gear is first and foremost about what WORKS for YOU! If fashion is even part of the gear buying equation it should be way down on the priority list!

FT

After you scooter for an hour you will be VERY happy you have 2" over 1" webbing.

If anyone wants I can post a link to pictures and instructions on how to make your own.

Joe

Originally posted by ericfine50
Joe,

Do you thread the croch strap back over itself or bolt it to the BP?

Eric

Through a weight belt keeper and then through the slot in the BP and then back through the weight belt keep er to lock it...

The rear D-ring should be in the double loop captured by the wb keeper....

Or you can just do as you suggested but then that is not adjustable..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom