Halcyon Focus 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still don't think it's about numbers. It's about the package as a whole. The brightest light isn't always the best. My focus has done over 100 dives. It's always been bright enough to signal. The low power is great for night and overhead. The focus is wide enough to illuminate stuff I'm looking at and the slim makes a extremely bright beam which I can wave at people.

It is of good quality the casing is hard and is only showing some paint removal on the edges. It's never ran out on me and it's never let me down.

The cord is strong I've caught it a couple of times and it doesn't even show any sign of damage.

I think it is great light. Not had a go with the 2.0 yet.

A thing I didn't like is for the money I paid a simple zip case would have been great to carry it about in. It came in a cardboard box. Also the battery rattles when you shake it. No big deal but again from Halcyon I expect the absolute best.

Just for @stuartv, I did some rough measurements on beam angles.

For the wide focus, the beam angle is 55 degrees.

Add a margin of error for the tape measure.

I don't think 55 is wide enough for shooting video. But, it sounds really great just for "seeing stuff". I would love to try a light like that - adjust wide enough to light up a good chunk of a room inside a wreck, for example, but adjust it tight when you want/need to signal.

I don't think 55 is wide enough for shooting video. But, it sounds really great just for "seeing stuff". I would love to try a light like that - adjust wide enough to light up a good chunk of a room inside a wreck, for example, but adjust it tight when you want/need to signal.

I mentioned before, if you are doing WA video ... it isn't enough (even with two I'd wager), unless you just want part of the WA illuminated. GoPro on "Medium" might be doable ...

I might use it for some interesting WA shots and on macro when I can go 'hands free' from the rig ..

... It is enough for a backlight on a diver ...

_R

The cord is strong I've caught it a couple of times and it doesn't even show any sign of damage..

This is one reason why I don't like canister lights. Now I'm not diving caves yet, and I imagine I'll never go as extensive as many who post here, so I see the integrated battery on the light will serve my purposes. However, if I get into long, deep dives, then a canister that powers my light and my heated vest will fit the bill.

total agree wit previous post ......

''Now I'm not diving caves yet, and I imagine I'll never go as extensive as many who post here, so I see the integrated battery on the light will serve my purposes. ''

But... I was trained to follow the GUE handling procedures with the light with a cable with this I have no problem and I do not burden myself.
But true in fact with our 35 m deep sea and 5 wracks we don't need canisters :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''Still don't think it's about numbers. It's about the package as a whole. The brightest light isn't always the best.''

Also true ... Depending on what these numbers mean, at home I have a wardrobe full of optics and optical bench , also I can combine optical elements and I have build my light with aspheric lens before H did ( not zoomable because there is some complications , and I also think that another design is much better ) . But for DIYer is that orientation what other think and what might to do better. For us DIY ers it is not interesting to buy something on market but to create something on our own. ( it is also not the cheapest way to made something good) H is used only for comparison , same with their competitors.

It is also interesting hypocrisy between brands owners to promote their choice and investment ( ......and there have numbers also big deal ) and flooding the topic with a pile of rubbish in order to collect empty points (one is particularly exiting):confused:

Last edited:
But... I was trained to follow the GUE handling procedures with the light with a cable

Same, but still working on my tech pass, after which I'll sell my canister light. For personal practice, I'll just use a bungee cord to simulate, but otherwise, I'll be diving with a non-canister light.

So, after spending a few dives with my new light, I have to say, I'm impressed. It is an absolute laser beam when focused. Super easy to see. We had a pretty dark dive under a kelp canopy today, and I ended up having to zoom it out in order to get a view of my surroundings. It still penetrates quite nicely in half zoom.

Fully focused... light saber!

21316549_1674124472597602_7115800322893383237_o.jpg

Half focused, still pretty decently visible, and some spread to look at pretty fish:
21272765_1674077259268990_5179817754944442748_o.jpg

As a video light in fully defocused mode, let's just say it isn't a video light. Here's the angle of the beam with the Go Pro on wide mode. Even with the camera in medium mode, the light doesn't fill the frame.
gopro.png

Altogether very happy with the purchase - fantastic little light!

I'd be curious to see how it stacks up to the new Light Monkey variable focus canister.

I did a dive last weekend with a buddy who has the new LM 32w VF offering.

It doesn't go as narrow as the Focus (most likely so it doesn't have the im'proper' square pattern of the LED)
The light is more neutral in color, vs the blueish output of the Focus (i.e. the Focus looks more like a HID in color output)

Otherwise, it is a very comparable light. The LM diver did mention, he liked mine slightly better while in the water, but at that point of the game, they both make a really great LED light.

edited to add ... the halo (outer beam) is more noticeable on the LM, where the Halcyon doesn't really have one (i.e. the LM beam pattern mimics a HID reflector pattern)

_R

Last edited:
The square you are seeing is the actual LED chip. I have the mb-sub X1-VB and at it's most focused it looks close to the PA state keystone. the beam varies from 3degrees to 25 degrees. It is only 220 lumen. The halo is from the fresnel lens. I have no problem with it.

Just to further add to this thread, I was down in the Caves the other weekend with this light .... It never came out of low power, and having the focus was awesome. I could dial it narrow/wide depending on the size of the cave, and what I was looking at. (I'd do the same with a 21w HID, but it gets lost easily).

Also, for the few cool snacking giant (and 2 itty bitty) crawfish on a catfish carcass at pothole, it was a very good fill light for the GoPro ....

_R

Back
Top Bottom