Halcyon Focus 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
And what are the beam angles at the limits (wide and narrow)?

It seems Stuart wants to see NUMBERS.

I figure that narrow is narrow enough for signaling and wide is wide enough for video. I don't need no stinkin' numbers.

I would think that the beam angel adjusts along with the focus of the light.

To how narrow? And how wide?

It seems Stuart wants to see NUMBERS.

I figure that narrow is narrow enough for signaling and wide is wide enough for video. I don't need no stinkin' numbers.

I guess I don't, either. I already know one number that means I won't be getting one of those anyway. :)

I don't have an HID to compare, but here's a comparison with a BigBlue TL3100p (10 degree spot, 3100 lumens).

Narrow spot:
IMG_20170824_225937.jpg

Wide angle:
IMG_20170824_225320.jpg

Approx same as BigBlue:
IMG_20170824_225304.jpg

The Big Blue may actually put out more light, but there's a lot of spread outside the spot. This is what I don't like about it - the spot gets lost very easily. My most recent dives have been with buddies using Halcyon Flare and Light Monkey 21W HID. In a decent amount of sunshine, my TL3100p is invisible compared with those. In darker environments, it is workable, but I still wish for a more focused spot (which I now have).

Planning day and night dives Saturday for further testing. I'll report back!

Wow--that really is a square beam. Now I understand what people are talking about. I suppose there's no disadvantage to a square beam, but it would take some getting used to.

Just for @stuartv, I did some rough measurements on beam angles.

The narrow focus, there's two distinct light beams. The very very bright square, and the circular halo around it.

The beam angle of the square is between 5 and 7 degrees, depending upon how you define the radius of a square.
The beam angle of the circle halo surrounding it is 14 degrees.

For the wide focus, the beam angle is 55 degrees.

Add a margin of error for the tape measure.

And there is one light emitter along with the focusing lens, which is very apparent in the earlier photos where you can clearly see the square shape of the LED. I don't know what kind of LED chip. I bought it because buddies were raving about how visible it was underwater, not because of printed technical specs. :)

I'd be curious to see how it stacks up to the new Light Monkey variable focus canister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom