Halcyon focus 2.0, wattage usage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure WHY halcyon does not state how much wattage their light uses on high and low, anyone have any idea?

Couldn't you just easily calculate it? If it comes with a 5.6a battery at 11.1volts, multiplied that's 62 watt/hours of available power. If a focus1 will give you 5hours on high and 10hours on low, then high power is drawing 12.4 watts and lower power is drawing 6.2 watts, right? (Dividing time in hours into watt/hours results in watts?). If a focus2 will go 2.5 hours on high and 5 hours on low, then that LED head is drawing twice the power, at 24.8 watts on high and 12.4 watts on low respectively. Am I missing something?

Couldn't you just easily calculate it? If it comes with a 5.6a battery at 11.1volts, multiplied that's 62 watt/hours of available power. If a focus1 will give you 5hours on high and 10hours on low, then high power is drawing 12.4 watts and lower power is drawing 6.2 watts, right? (Dividing time in hours into watt/hours results in watts?). If a focus2 will go 2.5 hours on high and 5 hours on low, then that LED head is drawing twice the power, at 24.8 watts on high and 12.4 watts on low respectively. Am I missing something?
Focus 2.0 claim is 180+ minutes in the manual, whilst others say it runs for 220 minutes, and halcyon site states 150 for the 5.2A

Based on 5.2 AH at 11.1 v, 2.5 hours on high, it should be 23,088

However, that's most likely not the actual 100% accurate power draw

No, and batteries lose some voltage as they are used, so your light output and power draw aren't linear over that time either, but should get you close enough.

No, and batteries lose some voltage as they are used, so your light output and power draw aren't linear over that time either, but should get you close enough.
But the halcyon 2.0 light output should stay consistent till it hits 9.8 on the battery pack (Then it switches to low power)

A actual estimation of wattage would be highly useful, is it 24 watts? Is it 15? Is it 30? That way people can make their own calculations

Also the halcyon battery might be 57,72 watt hours, but given the light switches to low at 9.8v, it's fair to say it can keep going till it's cut off point at 9v.

This means the actual amount of energy the light drains isn't entirely accurate either, because it does not consume the whole entire 57,72 watt hours after 2.5 hours, it merely dims itself to low settings.

Meaning 24 watts is off.

You missed PWM and thermal protection on driver or/and led if it is applied

You missed PWM and thermal protection on driver or/and led if it is applied
I am not technical enough sadly to know how those affect things, I just really wish Halcyon stated how much it draws.

My best guess is 25 watts

I just tested it for you on a less than 1 year old Halcyon Focus 2.0.

On high about 17.5 Watts

On low about 4.6 Watts

Back
Top Bottom