Halcyon Explorer Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I am getting my first Halcyon wing for diving twin steel HP80s. I weigh 185 pounds. Which model would be best? I am thinking the middle 55# would be fine for me. I can't see needing any more lift than that, as I'm not hauling anything off the bottom.

Also, am I correct in looking at the photo that the wing attaches through the same two bolts as the tanks? There are no other bolts to secure it to the BP? If that's true, that may lead me to also by a Pioneer for use with singles, since it would be so easy to swith out. Thanks.

Most of us with 104's are using the 55# so it should definately have the lift you need. But I am not sure of the wieght and bouyance of the HP 80's. I am sure someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. The explorer wing comes off when you take the tanks off. Then the pioneer comes with smaller bolts. If you have the slots for the straps in the bp then you just bolt the wing on and run the straps through the bp and you have a singles rig.

Good luck on you shopping. I hope you like your new setup. I have loved mine.

Chad

tampascott once bubbled...
I am thinking the middle 55# would be fine for me. I can't see needing any more lift than that, as I'm not hauling anything off the bottom.

Never use your BC or wings to lift objects!! Thats what lift bags are for. If you were to drop the object you would become possitively bouyant, which could be quite hazardous!!

Hi Scott,

The Explorer 55 will be your best choice with the HPs.

Tom

Just ran across another question that I cannot find the answer to: What is the Halcyon MC Storage Pak? Also, what does "MC" stand for in Halcyon or DIR lingo? I've noticed MC also used in their ditchable weight accessory.

Neither extreme-exposure or fifthD have a photo or explanation of it, although they both sell it. I've seen the photo of the the guy in the BP/Wing with what looks like a storage pak on his waste strap, so I assume that's what it is. What might you store in it (lift bag?), and does it go on your waste? Thanks again.

tampascott once bubbled...
Just ran across another question that I cannot find the answer to: What is the Halcyon MC Storage Pak? Also, what does "MC" stand for in Halcyon or DIR lingo? I've noticed MC also used in their ditchable weight accessory.

Neither extreme-exposure or fifthD have a photo or explanation of it, although they both sell it. I've seen the photo of the the guy in the BP/Wing with what looks like a storage pak on his waste strap, so I assume that's what it is. What might you store in it (lift bag?), and does it go on your waste? Thanks again.
...attaches directly to the backplate and sits against your back. It adds a little padding to the plate, but also acts as a "sock" to store a liftbag in. I believe MC stands for Multifunction Compensator...fancy talk for BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom