Halcyon Eclipse Wing sew job?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a relatively new Halcyon Eclipse BP/Wing setup. On my FIRST outing with it, I noticed a small section of bladder outer covering seam unraveling. I was a bit miffed but figured I'd just live with it until I felt like taking it off and turning inside out and re-stitching it but I have delayed and found several more sections (isolated fromn each other but indicative of a LOUSY seamstress or on who had an off day?

Anyone else experienced poor quality sew job on Halcyon Wings? I feel I paid a LOT of money expecting HIGH QUALITY!

Can't say that I have any problems with mine and I have ~35 dives on it.

I would contact the shop you bought it from or Halcyon directly. Might help to include pictures if you email Halcyon.

It has been issue for a while. You can get the replacement directly from Halcyon. I did mine, too. I post the same issue here last year....

Take a picture email to Halcyon

mheaster:
I have a relatively new Halcyon Eclipse BP/Wing setup. On my FIRST outing with it, I noticed a small section of bladder outer covering seam unraveling. I was a bit miffed but figured I'd just live with it until I felt like taking it off and turning inside out and re-stitching it but I have delayed and found several more sections (isolated fromn each other but indicative of a LOUSY seamstress or on who had an off day?

Anyone else experienced poor quality sew job on Halcyon Wings? I feel I paid a LOT of money expecting HIGH QUALITY!

They've have faulty production on some wings. We've seen that here too, but Halcyon really stands up so you'll probably get a new wing without screaming to much. :)

A slightly easier solution--unzip the wing, pull the bladder out, take a match and burn off the tips of what's fraying. That should keep it from fraying in the future.
...or give Halcyon a call.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal though as long as it doesn't continue. The outer shell doesn't hold the air in--that's the bladder's job.

SparticleBrane:
A slightly easier solution--unzip the wing, pull the bladder out, take a match and burn off the tips of what's fraying. That should keep it from fraying in the future.
...or give Halcyon a call.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal though as long as it doesn't continue. The outer shell doesn't hold the air in--that's the bladder's job.

Actually, I did that, but it didn't work because it was the matter of material. It kept being frayed.... Some Eclipse out shell is made of a different material. I have three Eclipse wings, but only one had a different one.

Here is my old post... Search function is amazing...:wink:

hoosier:
It has been issue for a while. You can get the replacement directly from Halcyon. I did mine, too. I post the same issue here last year....

That's interesting to know. I just got mine a few weeks ago and haven't dive with it yet. Should check them out soon!!! :huh:

NCSU has a set of 25 Eclipse 40s that we use for our training. We've had them for two years now, and there are a few that have the seams starting to fray a bit. In this case I believe it's a bit different though--each has several hundred pool dives in a heavily chlorinated pool by brand new divers, so they've taken a LOT of abuse. They're turning greyish now from the chlorine but they still work great.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom