Halcyon Eclipse Tank Rolling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Halcyon Eclipse Divers,

My Eclipse system doesn’t hold a tank properly. I can’t see any tank slippage before and after the diving. But, I felt that the tank is rolling a little bit in each way, left and right side only in underwater. I am not sure if the cam band is also rolling together. Do I miss something? I am using STA system with 130 CF tank.

Thanks in advance,

Hoosier

hoosier:
Hey Halcyon Eclipse Divers,

My Eclipse system doesn’t hold a tank properly. I can’t see any tank slippage before and after the diving. But, I felt that the tank is rolling a little bit in each way, left and right side only in underwater. I am not sure if the cam band is also rolling together. Do I miss something? I am using STA system with 130 CF tank.

Thanks in advance,

Hoosier

Double check your wing nuts.... This is a pre dive check item every time. The lock washers might need replacing too... make sure to use Stainless Steel

Ben, thanks.

However, this is the new system less than 10 dives. I am using the knob (http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/ss_tank_knobs.html) instead of wing nut. Do you think it caused the problem?

And, what is the order of insert (bolt, nut, & washer) to attach STA to the back plate?
I might need double check it, too.

That might be an issue...
STA lugs through the wing, then plugs through the plate, then you put on the big washer, then the lock washer and last snug it all down with nut of some type...

I have seen take roll problems with folks who have put one or more washers under the plate somewhere...

I have also heard folks with a harness that is too loose describing a feeling of tank rolling...

hoosier:
Ben, thanks.

However, this is the new system less than 10 dives. I am using the knob (http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/ss_tank_knobs.html) instead of wing nut. Do you think it caused the problem?

And, what is the order of insert (bolt, nut, & washer) to attach STA to the back plate?
I might need double check it, too.

It might be... is it loose? My rig has a STA, Wing, Plate, washer, locknut and then wing nut in that order.

Is yours loose? Is it threaded all the way? I might have bottomed out and still be loose.

jagfish:
That might be an issue...
STA lugs through the wing, then plugs through the plate, then you put on the big washer, then the lock washer and last snug it all down with nut of some type...

I have seen take roll problems with folks who have put one or more washers under the plate somewhere...

I have also heard folks with a harness that is too loose describing a feeling of tank rolling...

Sometimes there's also a grommet on the webbing... it might get in the way. Look closely at the way the STA mates to the wing and backplate.

my eclipse doesnt come with wingnuts except for the 2 that screws down the sta to the backplate. everything else just came with ordinary screws with washers.

i in fact felt some tank moving but soon discovered it was due to poor fitting of my harness. i have fitted them better and adjucted the crotch strap perfectly..........no more rolling to speak of

Hoosier,

I went diving Saturday, and had the exact same problem. When I geared up, my tank wiggled on the STA. Saturday nite, I took it all down, and sure enough, I had extra washers in between the plate, the wing, and the STA. Took them out, and it's rock solid again. I'm not sure how they got in there, but it's probably just a brain fart on my part.

Bolt goes through STA, wing, plate. At the end, put on washer, locker, and wing nut. Solid STA results. If there's any wiggle, something's not tight or there's an interference.

EDIT: One more thing to check. The bolts have a square base. When you take the kit apart, sometimes they don't seat themselves properly in the plate. When you kit up, they might wiggle into proper position, and that will mean you have slack in your bolts. If that happens, you'll also risk the wing nuts getting loose and falling off.

I ended up removing my MC pack for good as well. This makes it much easier to check my wing nuts and adjust for any issues that might come up. I didn't need it anyway.

Thank you so much for your replies. As you mentioned, there are extra washers between the plate and STA. So, I took it out.

In addition, as Wijbrandus pointed out, the square base on the bolt doesn't seat themselves properly in the plate. I have tired my best. It still doesn't fit.

At least, I took out some washers, so let me see how it goes. If I still have the same problem, I think I have to replace the bolt or do something.

hoosier:
In addition, as Wijbrandus pointed out, the square base on the bolt doesn't seat themselves properly in the plate. I have tired my best. It still doesn't fit.

At least, I took out some washers, so let me see how it goes. If I still have the same problem, I think I have to replace the bolt or do something.

To save you the trouble searching in the hardware store, the bolts are called carriage bolts. I use 5/16th inch. The measurement is for the bolt diameter, not the square. I suggest measuring the hole first then comparing the measurement to the bolts at the store. Can you tell these are words of experience? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom