Halcyon 55# Explorer + STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by WreckWriter
I'm just as comfortable with double 80s and would still have to schlep 2 tanks on the boat anyway for most trips.
We just set up singles rigs with extra 104s that we can band together with an iso crossover when we need an extra set of doubles just because the things are way overkill for the little dives. I thought about sticking together a set of AL80s but was concerned about the buoyancy issues... I know you are diving warm water and I assume without a drysuit but what do you do about the tanks going positive x2?

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
I know you are diving warm water and I assume without a drysuit but what do you do about the tanks going positive x2?

I wear a little weight (8lbs wet) to counteract it but very rarely suck them down far enough for it to be a big issue. With drysuit, a little more weight :)

Tom

Thanks for all of the opinions.

I have a possible line on a set of dual 63s that I'm going to check out tomorrow. Ideally, of course, I'd buy a set of 104's (ok, honestly I'd have to start working out to be able to move them about :) ), or AL80's, but fiscally that isn't possible for me.

The Pioneer wing, however, will probably suit me just fine :) Now, what should I do with the cool STA I got from Fred? :)

Jeff

Originally posted by Fetch
Thanks for all of the opinions.

I have a possible line on a set of dual 63s that I'm going to check out tomorrow.
Shoot Jeff... these are more than opinions... your getting the voice of experience from some of us here... :wink:

And along that line... I once had a set of double 63s that I took apart for singles for my daughter... sold the manifold (OMS face seal deal) and the eventually traded the 63s in for some 40cf deco bottles... all in all a very satisfactory turn of events.

But as far as diving the 63s... I would advise against it as they are too short for you (unless your a little bitty fella)

Dive the single until you save enough to buy a proper set of doubles and then save some more cause the doubles are the cheap part of the deal. Kinda like buying a horse... :wink:

Originally posted by WreckWriter

He suggested making a plastic plate, basically the width of a set of doubles, to keep the wing from curling around so much. I asked him about custom making one out of aluminum but he never got back to me on that.

Tom

I thought I had gotten back with you. Including drafting and setup time charges for the laser and press break a single "spreader" in 11 gauge SST or AL will run about $300.

We'd have to get a run of 30 or more together to make it cost effective.

I may have worked up the price, seen it as not reasonable, and neglected to tell you.

12-14 hour days at the office are getting to me. A 3 day "Bimini Sanity Break" is coming up. I SHOULD be better when I get back.

FT

"The Pioneer wing, however, will probably suit me just fine :) Now, what should I do with the cool STA I got from Fred? :)"

I have a STA with the new Pioneers and use it now for a little bit more weight on the back. Once out wreck diving I would probably use it as it would be much easier getting a tank on the STA than the regular Pioneers IMO. I have heard of them going back to tank straps that stay connected but are made of SS.

Tommy

Originally posted by FredT
I thought I had gotten back with you. Including drafting and setup time charges for the laser and press break a single "spreader" in 11 gauge SST or AL will run about $300.

We'd have to get a run of 30 or more together to make it cost effective.

I may have worked up the price, seen it as not reasonable, and neglected to tell you.

12-14 hour days at the office are getting to me. A 3 day "Bimini Sanity Break" is coming up. I SHOULD be better when I get back.

FT

Youch! That makes it kinda not cost effective as far as saving money by not having to buy a Pioneer wing too, doesn't it? Thanks Fred.

Enjoy Bimini :)

Tom

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

But as far as diving the 63s... I would advise against it as they are too short for you (unless your a little bitty fella)

Yeah, I'm a tiny 6', 160lb guy :)

Dive the single until you save enough to buy a proper set of doubles and then save some more cause the doubles are the cheap part of the deal. Kinda like buying a horse... :wink:

At $1000 for 104s, manifold, and bands, I fail to see how the doubles are the "cheap" part :wink: Well, except for a drysuit :)

Any opinion on a 27# vs a 36# wing?

Jeff

Originally posted by Fetch
At $1000 for 104s, manifold, and bands....
That's awfully high if you shop around....

I don't know about "awfully" high, but that's extreme exposure's price.

Regardless, thats in the future, plenty of time for pst 104s to get put up on ebay before I'm ready to buy :)

Jeff

Originally posted by metridium

That's awfully high if you shop around....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom