Hair Hair Everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what is wrong with liquid crude?

Because our water here in the gulf is full of microbes that eat crude... Perhaps you were not aware that the Gulf of Mexico alone naturally leaks the rough equivalent of 1-2 exxon valdex amounts of crude to the gulf floor every year. We have our own homegrown microbres that eat the stuff up yum. During the oil spill in the Gulf of Campeche, Ixtoc I and during the BP horizon spill last yr, those same microbes exploded and had a feast on the crude. Dame with deepwater horizon.. they are always there, hungry and just waiting for a snack.

In the scheme of things, what I put in my hair is infitessimal compared to the chemical laden conditioner that many use.. Read the label on any jar of conditioner. Next, discounting the smell good stuff added, refined petroleum products are natural despite the notion otherwise, as you said, its refined crude. The problem with a naturally occurring substance is??

For those who might be interested, that has nothing to do with hair... google Ixtoc I and read the myriad of articles both pro and con out there.. It was the 2nd largest oil spill, occurred in 1979 in the Gulf of Campeche.. ymmv

Yes oil is a natural thing in nature, and yes there are a number of things that survive on oil, but there are also many that do not. And yes what you probably use in your hair is most likely worse for the environment, but I was asking what is eco friendly about oil products, nothing is.

eco friendly would be holding your hair back with a hempen rope derived from natural and sustainable sources, fair trade certified. Vaseline in all its glory is not eco friendly

Yes oil is a natural thing in nature, and yes there are a number of things that survive on oil, but there are also many that do not. And yes what you probably use in your hair is most likely worse for the environment, but I was asking what is eco friendly about oil products, nothing is.

eco friendly would be holding your hair back with a hempen rope derived from natural and sustainable sources, fair trade certified. Vaseline in all its glory is not eco friendly

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I can see where this is going.. and I am not going down that path. I suggest you do some serious in depth research on that term "fair trade"... and yes what I do is far more eco friendly than conditioner.I I usually reserve Vaseline for boat bottom painting.. hold my hair back with hemp rope.. please... perhaps you missed the part where I said it is so fine I can use a lice comb for daily use and it slides easily thru my hair.. keep drinking the Kool-aid dear.. I guess we shall agree to disagree.. YMMV

ps... boat on land, bottom being painted with paint with 60% cuprous oxide.. but since I just said that... you might do the research about how the US Navy uses TriButilyn Tin in its boat bottom paint.. TBT vs a little baby oil.. please...

I also have really long thick hair. I put my hair in two braids starting behind my ears. Since I dive in cold water I wear a hood and tuck the front hair into it.

I have thick knee-length hair, and I do the same thing. I first tried one braid, but all that thickness in one place meant that my hood felt really tight around my neck. I switched to two braids and it's much more comfortable now.

Neoprene beanie. Straps on to your head so it won't slip off like a swim cap and less confining than a hood.

Would that I could! I dive in Monterey, so a hood is mandatory.

I'm thinking I might cut a hole in the hood once I buy one to put the braid through. Obviously that's not much of an option with rentals.

Would that I could! I dive in Monterey, so a hood is mandatory.

I'm thinking I might cut a hole in the hood once I buy one to put the braid through. Obviously that's not much of an option with rentals.

I've been thinking the same exact thing! I'm going to cut a neoprene circle and then cut a smaller circle inside of that for my braid to feed through, slide it up around the top of my head before putting my hood on as a sort of seal. If it wasn't so much noticeably colder when you stay down I wouldn't wear a hood at all. I didn't like it right off and can't wait for my own to finally get here.

Definitely some type of braid or pny tail and braid the tail in back so that hair doesnt turn into a tangled mess. You can wear a swim cap(lycra type) or...I like my surf beaniefor warm water, it goes over the head and under your chinnot fully around your neck like a regular hood. depending on the water tempthis will also give you thermal insulation and make your dives more comfortable. even in 78-80 degree water the beanie comes in handy for warmth after multiple dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom