Hair conditioner to help don wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A guy I dove with recently introduced me to using a spray bottle with a mixture of 50% cheap hair conditioner with 50% water. He would spray a little of it down the legs and arms of his suit to ease getting into it. I tried it on one of our dives together and it worked pretty well. And my leg/arm hair was nice and soft for days! :wink:

Does anybody else do this? Any downsides I haven't thought of? Is there a danger of damaging the neoprene?

you know, in chemistry whats that saying "like disolves like" I wonder about the effect on the neoprene. I use lots of conditioner before my henderson hood, and it feels a little gummy. But, it is three years old and has been exposed to a lot of that stuff....

I say, turning dives into a beauty treatment is always a good idea! My boatmates are at their limit with what they will tolerate though...

Sometimes I hope that the sharks don't dig that smell....one of those fleeting thoughts I get.

Lots of people do this. I personally use baby shampoo, 50/50, and get the same results. The benefit of doing this is that I use the remaining shampoo at 100% for defog. Works like a charm.

catherine96821:
I use lots of conditioner before my henderson hood, and it feels a little gummy. But, it is three years old and has been exposed to a lot of that stuff....

I say, turning dives into a beauty treatment is always a good idea! My boatmates are at their limit with what they will tolerate though...

Sometimes I hope that the sharks don't dig that smell....one of those fleeting thoughts I get.

I hadn't even considered the hood. If I were a woman or if I had much hair left, I would see how getting the hood on could sure be challenging. Given the little hair I have left, my hood just slides right on.

Just last weekend, a local boat captain lent me some K-Y to get my neck seal (mine is neoprene, but he uses it for latex) off. It is safe, as it's water-soluble. And it worked great.

I am a girl with long hair...and it was the first pain-free neck seal removal I've experienced. I cannot imagine that it wouldn't work equally well for wetsuit donning.

That'd be my only concern is bio-degradeability... make sure it's environmental and critter friendly... other than that... good idea...

I have done this for a few years. I go on every trip with a large bottle of Suave hair conditioner. It's less than two bucks, moisturizes my skin and hair, and helps the wetsuit slide on SOOO much easier. I use it before a dive to get the suit on, then lather it on my long hair to help detangle it after a dive. Yeah my hair is gummy until I get back to shore, but it washes so smoothly. It's the best two bucks you'll spend!!

Panty hose works well too, and it keeps you a tad warmer.
I used to use them when I dove wet. I have never heard of using hair conditioner to help put on a wet-suit

Heather

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom