Haigh Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
I wonder if more people will start using scooters to get out there? ALthough, it might be a mixed blessing for an instructor to tow students out to the hole. Tina started renting scooters late last year (?), but I haven't ever seen anyone using them (not that I was paying close attention).

If people do start using the scootersI can see that trashing what's left of the vis on a busy weekend LOL

They have already started. I was teaching a class last year and one of these things came zipping by the platform. It was about 2 feet off the bottom and you could see the trail of silt rise up behind the diver. The viz sucked that whole weekend.

Going this weekend. Hope they figure out what happened, and prayers to the family.

So that is sulfur that hangs in the water. Is there any danger to it? Since I swam through it last year I really hope not. I thought it was really cool.

crpntr133:
So that is sulfur that hangs in the water. Is there any danger to it? Since I swam through it last year I really hope not. I thought it was really cool.

Nah, it just stinks. If there was any harm, diving wouldn't be allowed.

Gilboa used to stink sooooo bad I didn't even like being near it. My gear did get an extra thorough cleaning every time I dove there. The sulpher layer in the deep side used to be really cool, though. You could put your hand / arm in it an not be able to see it. It may still be there but if so it's much deeper than I've gone there the past few years.

Paula

Thanks Paula. Wasn't sure of how to word that one. I knew that if it would actually do harm to you they wouldn't let you dive it. I was thinking more of gear.
Last year it was there. I would take a guess and say that it was at about 50'. It was really wispy and you could easily see through. Just thought that it was cool to have clouds underwater.

Got my AOW class scheduled for Aug. 6,7 and looking forward to it.

crpntr133:

Large doses are harmful so don't drink it. LOL

I read that it can penetrate through the skin but I've also read that it can't so I'm not sure. Either way it's something we come accross pretty often in fresh water.

diver_paula:
Nah, it just stinks. If there was any harm, diving wouldn't be allowed.

Gilboa used to stink sooooo bad I didn't even like being near it. My gear did get an extra thorough cleaning every time I dove there. The sulpher layer in the deep side used to be really cool, though. You could put your hand / arm in it an not be able to see it. It may still be there but if so it's much deeper than I've gone there the past few years.

Paula

Just like at Haigh it comes and goes. Often the cloud will hang in the last few feet of the deep part of the deep area...what some call "Joe Jackson hole"

I'll be out at Haigh this weekend...I usually have a cloud of sulfur always trailing me...never could really figure it out though...its there whenever I'm in the water...hmmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom