Haigh Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I was also going to be at Haigh last Saturday but ended up going to another place................

Sideband, if you can and Tina is ok with it, please post who it was so we can better pray for the family!

Jeff

I work with a gentleman who lives with in spitting distance of Haigh. He told me about the article in THE DAILY JOURNAL this morning. He had the newspaper with him and I have re-type the article from The Daily Journal:

"An experienced scuba diver drowned during the weekend at a Bourbonnais Township quarry, according the Kankakee County coroner’s office.
Kankakee County Sheriff’s police are investigating the incident, but no foul play is suspected, Investigations Chief Ken McCabe said.
Chicago Heights resident Robert Kusler, 58, was pronounced dead at 6:14 p.m. Saturday at Provena St. Mary’s Hospital in Kankakee, said Coroner Bob Gessner.
Kusler drowned at Haigh Quarry at 2738 E. 2000N Road, which is the site of a scuba-diving business, Gessner said.
Police said Kusler was diving when he lost contact with his partner. He was then found floating in the quarry, according to police.
People there placed Kusler in a boat and rowed him to shore, where paramedics met him, according to Gessner.
The coroner’s office is also investigating the drowning. Kusler’s gear will be tested and the people he was with will be interviewed, Gessner said.
The coroner said Kusler was an experienced diver."

I agree that this one is close to home as I am planning a trip there Wednesday afternoon. I certianly hope that this vague article does not start people speculating on the cause as that is just wrong.

My heart goes out to his family and to Tina.

I only re-typed that article as a courtesy to those who wanted to see it. Please remember that newspapers in their rush to be first with the story often only have part of the story and interpolate the rest.

As anyone who has taken the Resue Diver course knows, we should never speculate and the only people that we should speak to are the authorties investigating the incident.

I will not believe anything until I hear it from the official Kankakee Police report of this incident.

Thanks for posting, rjs. We were diving at Haigh on Sunday, and had no idea anything had happened. Of course the info is preliminary at this stage and must be taken with a grain (or more) of salt, but I'm still glad to have it. This hits pretty close to home!
My heart goes out to the diver's family and friends.

Deborah

Oh my…he was a teacher at my old High School in Chicago...I graduated in George Washington in 1987 and he was not part of the faculty then (via yearbook). I’m originally from Hegewisch and the East Side so this is very close to home. My prayers go out to Mr. Kusler and his family.

I was told today that his tank was totally empty when it was recovered. Until it is tested though we will not know if it was breathed down or if there was a malfunction.

joe

I saw that too...maybe he was an experienced diver doing an AOW class or something...who knows. Between the news stories and some people I know who know EMS people in that area....I've heard numerous things...

I hope we get to hear something official. :(

Back
Top Bottom