Haigh Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'll admit this is third hand, but....

Last night, we had a meeting at the dive shop and we discussed this summer's class schedule and issues we encountered last summer. Naturally, the topic of the gentlemen's death came up. The owner of the dive shop said she confirmed this through Tina, and one of our instructors that was fun diving that Saturday confirmed it through people with the gentlemen.

The deceased was in an AOW class. They surface from the "Hole" (used of the deep dive portion of the AOW class). He was talking at the surface. Then he suffered a heart attack (despite the previous reports saying that a heart attack was ruled out). Heart attack is the cause of death listed on the death certificate, according to Tina.

I don't think I will look at the hole same when I do my AOW classes this summer.

CRPT,

I just took a student to the hole for the deep adventure dive on Sunday and the whole thing didn't even cross my mind. Don't let it deter from your own diving, get out there and enjoy it. :)

Jason

Thanks for the updates, everybody. We'll be at Haigh on Saturday afternoon doing drysuit practice.

drl

jepuskar:
CRPT,

I just took a student to the hole for the deep adventure dive on Sunday and the whole thing didn't even cross my mind. Don't let it deter from your own diving, get out there and enjoy it. :)

Jason

I am sure that I will think about it when I get there but it won't stop me from diving. I will say a pray for the guy and dive the dive.

I always hated taking students to the hole and usually, in fact didn't. Many students can't stay at 75/80 ft long in that cold water on a single 80 and most of the dive is swimming around on the surface getting there and back. It's too far out and it makes for a bad situation if a student does get hurt. Actually when I dive there for fun I don't go there much either because there's nothing there but a platform. And the4n of course you have that sulfer layer part of the year making everything below it a knight dive...if you can even get below it.

A better dive (and a closer in one) is to just drop down the wall. It's closer and you can still get deep enough for an AOW dive. It's still a ways out but there's more to look at and you can bring the class back under water along the wall and work your way up as you go.

Mike, I'll disagree with you...they actually added a tennis racket with a tennis ball attached to it with string on the platform. :) It amused me for 10 seconds, but I see your point.

Are you talking the wall right under the south dock? That's not a bad idea.

My AOW deep dive was in the hole in October, and yes...it turned into a night dive in 40 degree water in a 7mm/hood/gloves...all this with about 10-15 dives under my belt at the time....NOT FUN!!

jepuskar:
Mike, I'll disagree with you...they actually added a tennis racket with a tennis ball attached to it with string on the platform. :) It amused me for 10 seconds, but I see your point.

Are you talking the wall right under the south dock? That's not a bad idea.

My AOW deep dive was in the hole in October, and yes...it turned into a night dive in 40 degree water in a 7mm/hood/gloves...all this with about 10-15 dives under my belt at the time....NOT FUN!!

I follow the wall from the south dock to where it drops off. It's hard to explain but the two walls get closer as you get further. I'll go down a way, cut accross the flat to the north (so I don't have to go as far) and then go over the second drop off. " Usually" you can get deep enough to do an AOW deep dive and still stay above the sulfer...and you're on the wall so there's a reference and something to look at...as long as you like rocks. LOL

Even if you have to drop a few feet into the sulfer it's still a more interesting and easier to control dive.

MikeFerrara:
I always hated taking students to the hole and usually, in fact didn't. Many students can't stay at 75/80 ft long in that cold water on a single 80 and most of the dive is swimming around on the surface getting there and back. It's too far out and it makes for a bad situation if a student does get hurt.

I wonder if more people will start using scooters to get out there? ALthough, it might be a mixed blessing for an instructor to tow students out to the hole. Tina started renting scooters late last year (?), but I haven't ever seen anyone using them (not that I was paying close attention).

I agree that the deep dive is tough for students, but one of my favorite dives at Haigh is to swim from the South dock, along the bottom, to the hole, and back along the wall.

Thanks so much for the updates, one of my sons will be doing his check out dives there next month and I'll be right there watching him. I didn't mention the death at all but it will be in the back of my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom