Haigh Quarry - Labor Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe one of these days.

The boyfriend's not holding me up from diving. It's the kids. I'd bring them all with, but I don't want to spook ya! :D

Dove on Sunday,

not really crowded due to the holiday.

Saw the S.S Flamigo.

Started to rain so i called it a day.

Yeah, the vis completely sucked yesterday. We were there a month ago and the vis was about 20-25 feet on the deeper side. On Saturday, you were lucky to get 5 foot of vis. It was probably the worst I have ever seen there. It was as bad as the gravel pits in Chillicothe, IL.

We got fed up and went home after 2 short dives.

Vis was bad both days, but after the O.W classes left Sat. it cleared up a little by the hole. Coming back to the south dock was like flying over the clouds at 30' The layer of silt was just floating at 30' and below we were just above it coming back. It looked just like being in a plane flying over a cloud bank. Very cool.
By the way Juls64 used her divining (sp) rod to find water when we were 25' down on Sunday. Took her a while but she found some water.

Not too many people out there this weekend, especially on Monday. Anyone posting here from Scuba Emporium? Not much else there besides us people :) I think the first 6 cars or so were from our group.

Had a great time this weekend, got my AOW, and convinced my wife to do a discover scuba, perhaps she'll do her OW.. I'm hoping. It would be nice to have a diving wife :)

I did have a nasty problem with my drysuit this weekend though. Rental, had a not too tight neck seal, I ended up wet-dry suit diving the last couple days.. all my insulation was wet, wasn't too fun. I think I'll skip the drysuit from now on, unless I have a really good reason to drop into the hole.. and even then, I assume a farmer john 7mil should be good enough.

In either case, that was some nasty weather this weekend, but the temperature was beautiful.. nice and cool, much better than those 90+ degree days when you're trying to suit up..

I am from S.E.

There weren't too many of S.E.'s students out there today?

When did you get Dry Suit certified? I just did a Dry Suit session in the pool last week with someone who was there today.

I was hanging out in the Shelter with all the other S.E. people..Audra, Harold, Harold, Barry, Wally, ....

Jason

Funny stuff, I was one of the guys you took through Dry Suit training :)

Yeah, not too many people out there today.. nasty weather, cold, etc. Course that could have been me too, I was cold as soon as I put on my wet dry suit.

Dave

Ok, I know who you are....forgot your name.....how long did you stay up there today? We were there from 7:40am - 6:00pm.

There were like 6 divers left in the entire quarry when we left.

Besides the neck seal problem, how do you like diving dry?

Jason

I was there only for one dive on Monday, I was there from 8am to 6pm ish on Saturday and Sunday, but by Monday I was freezing.. I got there around 7:30am on Monday, put on my still wet underlayer, dropped into the hole, sat at 80' for about 15 minutes, swam back at 45', got out, and stripped my soaking wet clothes off and put on some warm stuff. I didn't really warm up until I was in bed last night. I was shivering the whole evening, and I rarely get cold. Plus with all the water in my boots and with my wet wool socks, my fin strap rubbed a nice gash into the back of my ankle.. just another reason to dislike the rented dry suit :)

Otherwise diving dry is pretty nice. Saturday, when my clothes under the drysuit were still dry, was pretty good. Very warm in a drysuit.

I found my buoyancy improved a lot when I started using both the BCD and the drysuit for buoyancy. I know PADI was teaching us to use just the drysuit for buoyancy, but I'd read it was better to use the drysuit for keeping warm and the BCD for buoyancy, and I found that to definitely be true. Once I started using the BCD for buoyancy, I had a lot more fun.

I think there's a decent chance that sometime next year I'll buy a drysuit of my own. For now I'm looking at a semi-dry to finish out the winter perhaps.. they look warm, and I don't mind getting wet when I swim :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom