H-valve acceptable ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also the tank neck o ring. If that goes then you are sol .

If you are the type of diver that runs out of air then you have no right to be diving solo.

The right to solo dive? Entanglement, current changes, fighting a big fish happens.

Personally I don't consider H-valves sufficiently redundant for solo diving. My only major incident while solo diving (over nearly 50 years) was when my dip (debris) tune in my full HP120 tank got clogged on descent and I wasn't carrying my pony bottle. An H-valve would have been of no value in that event. I have heard that Y-valves may have separate air pathways (vs H-valves single pathway) so they may be sufficient.

Don't think ive ever heard of a catastrophic neck ring failure on a tank underwater at all.

H/Y valve is fine PROVIDED you can shut down QUICKLY.

No idea about burst disks - never seen one. Not legal on tanks here and havent seen them anywhere on my travels either.

If your the type of diver that runs out of air you shouldnt be diving at all.

No argument from me on that one. Seems to happen all too often though.

Don't think ive ever heard of a catastrophic neck ring failure on a tank underwater at all.

H/Y valve is fine PROVIDED you can shut down QUICKLY.

No idea about burst disks - never seen one. Not legal on tanks here and havent seen them anywhere on my travels either.

Neck O rings do fail The Deco Stop
as do burst discs The Deco Stop. Agreed the chance of either failing catastrophically on a dive is pretty tiny,but,if the dive is deep or in an overhead then the consequences are nasty.

Personally I would not do a solo dive of any significance using an H or Y valve without a backup air source.

Would appear to be poor maintenance/incorrect torque but its still the first incident ive seen of it.

I guess they can "fail" but if its severe or not remains to be seen - still looking for a proper gas loss situation underwater from one.

Im glad bursts disks are illegal here- a stupid idea.

Id still favour a twinset (independent or manifold) for all types of diving though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom