guys,before you consider any sport...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound to offensive, but you seem to be just waving your arms in the air screaming about how dangerous diving is because you once read a list that said someone died when diving. People who partake in diving need to weight the risks for the type of diving THEY will be doing. If they are not interested in pursuing cave or extended range diving due to the fact that they believe that the risks outweighs the benefits, that is up to them.

HOWEVER, screaming at new divers that all diving will lead to them being trapped under some structure while every piece of equipment they're using simultaneously fails is just silly and unwarranted. It's akin to telling someone they shouldn't swim in pool because someone one got attacked by a rampant turtle while swimming. Is it possible that this has happened at some point in history? Entirely (I actually know someone attacked by a sea turtle). Is it probably that it will happen to someone in a pool, a totally different swimming environment? Not in the least! (Unless you bring your own turtle, of course) (I do like the rock climbing vs hiker example as well)

Hey now don't go lumping me in with this guy just because he said my name.

Life in a padded room without windows holds no appeal to me. As seems to be the OP's preference.

The fact that we have to handle this clown with little kid gloves is just frustrating.

Yeah yeah yeah. Diving is dangerous. I've said it a hundred times, I'll maintain that diving is dangerous until I die, and for all the reasons rovic stated. So what. Life ends in death. Lets go diving.

Life in a padded room without windows holds no appeal to me. As seems to be the OP's preference.

The fact that we have to handle this clown with little kid gloves is just frustrating.
Oops. I guess I need to edit my post for clarity! Go take a look at it now. Better?

You guys are forgetting to mention the risk of coming across a zombie fighting a shark! That's dangerous! And real... I know because I read it online and they even made a movie about it!
arabasuh.jpg

So rovic, I'll ask for the third time, are you a diver or not? In your previous posts you said that you were, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wr...ive-wrecks-like-andrea-doria.html#post6204108
I've been all over the Philippine's best diving sites, i've been to Apo island Dumaguete,Tubataha reef national marine park in Sulu Sea, Puerto Galera(always), Anilao(every beginner diver's fav), Moalboal Cebu and Corona Bay Palawan..name it!!
but now in this thread you say:
i'm not insane to get into diving hobby or sport whatever...LIFE IS PRECIOUS

2years ago i was about to enter into this diving sport,not until i register to this forum and read all about the accidents and fatalities on the Accident section., i told myself,WOW, i want to do a sport or hobby to enjoy and not to DIE....

You want to enlighten us, so please do so. Which rovic are we discussing this with?

Diving is actually one of the safest sports/pastimes I enjoy....mostly because the "open water" underwater environment is relatively benign.

I hike in the back country of British Columbia, summer and winter. Although I've done avalanche training, carry self rescue equipment and monitor the conditions through CAC bulletins I can never be assured that I won't be caught in an avalanche.

I canyoneer on the Colorado Plateau in Utah. Although I monitor the weather conditions through the posted bulletins, watch the cloud buildup as I approach a canyon and look for escape routes while in the canyon I can never be assured that I won't be caught in a flash flood.

I do some glacier travel. I'm trained in crevasse rescue and always travel in a three person rope team. I understand how crevasses form and move, and where they are most likely to occur...if I fall into one, I'm confident that my teammates will arrest the fall and then get me out.......but I still can't completely eliminate the possibility of being trapped in one.

My point is that open water scuba diving has no natural hazards that I can think of that are the equivalent of avalanches, rockfalls, flash floods or crevasses - maybe strong current, but that only applies to a few dive sites, which can be avoided if one chooses.

I'm quite happy/comfortable to be participating in something where most of the "situations" I am likely to encounter are directly related to my experience, training level and ability to problem solve.

YES mr. rescue, i undesrtand, i totally know where youre' coming from and getting at,,, but what i'm trying to say is that the NATURE of scuba diving is what's dangerous, the fact that your body is being submerged into a body of water, the density and the tremendous amount of pressure being applied to your body when under water say 300ft deep.,,some people suffer from heart attack/embolism/aneurism/explosion of arteries /decompresson syndrome under deep waters. you know how dense the water is and it's being applied to your body.,it's like hulk hogan squeezing your body,, i know a lot of divers who became paralyzed because they dive so deep., would you allow that to happen to yourself? THINK!

As my friend Wayward Son would say ... that's yak squeeze.

First off, this is the new diver's forum ... they ain't going to 300 feet.

And even if they did, as long as you equalize air spaces, you don't feel any more pressure as you go deeper ... liquids are not compressible, and your body's basically a liquid.

Seriously ... try diving before telling other people what it feels like ... this isn't an appropriate place to peddle ignorance.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

soon, they'll gang up on you because you said that this thread is not as exciting after it was edited and manipulated....be careful in what you say mathauck!

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 09:54 AM ----------

So rovic, I'll ask for the third time, are you a diver or not? In your previous posts you said that you were, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wr...ive-wrecks-like-andrea-doria.html#post6204108

but now in this thread you say:

You want to enlighten us, so please do so. Which rovic are we discussing this with?

i don't know where you got those threads??????, havent' seen that before, PLUS, you and i are aware that "M"s can edit/delete/ADD threads ,words in your account without you knowing it, they have the ability to open your account and manipulate it. i thought you know it already???!!! well now you know. please don't set me up sir.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 09:57 AM ----------

bottomline is...who wants to get into a hobby and be killed????.....THINK AND REFLECT! my goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom