guys,before you consider any sport...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

well of course,we need to tell them everything about diving, it is not a simple sport,or hobby as others insist to call it. it's not like basketball or pingpong, your body is totally trapped in a body of water, if your diving gadget malfunction for whatever reason then your done,especially if you are 100+ feet below. it's not a joke.,there are a lot of news around the world about death/accidents etc involving diving instructors themselves, one cannot brag that they are a certified diver or what, one wrong move underwater and that's it.

Funny you should bring that up. I got into scuba diving at the age of 49 specifically because I kept hurting myself playing basketball. My wife told me to find something safer to do ... I chose scuba diving.

It's been 12+ years now, I've logged over 3100 dives, including dives to 240 feet, inside wrecks, inside caves, ripping current, and hundreds of solo dives in some pretty remote places. I have yet to injure myself in anything close to the way ... or the regularity ... I did when I was playing basketball.

I'm not sure what your agenda is ... but I do know that you are not presenting a very informed perspective of the risks of scuba diving. Of course, there are risks. But they are easily managed with appropriate training and preparation. Frankly, if you're diving responsibly the most dangerous part of scuba diving is the risk of getting into a car accident on the way to the dive site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i am not actually discouraging people,i am enlightening their minds and telling them that diving is not as easy as putting all the equipments on your body and dive....it entails a lot of training and technical know how, emphasizing that diving is very dangerous, by doing so people will be more aware of what they are getting into rather than being blind and blinded.
i don't need to discourage the professional divers because you already have proven to yourselves that diving isnt dangerous because you are still alive, the ones that failed to prove themselves died.

what im getting into here is that we have to lay all the cards, not always encourage.,people might get mislead.

With due respect, how can you enlighten minds about something you've never experienced?

All you're really doing is spreading misinformation ... based on fear and ignorance.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Five pages so far and some of the responses are quite detailed. He's good my friend. Very good.

Some of the detailed responses are not for him. This thread is in the new diver and those considering diving forum. Many will come here with misconceptions like this. The detailed responses were for the benefit of others who came with similar fears and misconceptions. They were not actually directed at the OP himself.
---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 09:52 AM ----------

Someone who knows that I do cave diving and deep diving beyond 300 feet asked me what my most harrowing, death-defying moment was with scuba diving. I gave it some thought and told him about the time I put on my old 5mm wet suit for the first time in a while and discovered that it had mysteriously shrunk over that time. (Ahem!) I pulled hard on the sleeve to pull it up my arm. I lost the grip and my hand came up my arm suddenly, my thumb nail making a cut in my skin. I actually have a faint scar from that experience. That is definitely my worst injury, and it is probably the most threatened I have ever felt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised three day eventing isn't on the list. They've had a rash of deaths and spinal cord injuries in the past 20 years.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 09:16 AM ----------

I found this interesting. Seems more dangerous than diving. Although, probably a lot more people ride than dive so that would of course make a difference:
78,279 people visited the emergency room in 2007 as a result of horse riding related injuries. Head injuries comprised about 15 percent, or 11,759 of these visits (NEISS data 2007), and are the number one reason for hospital admissions and the leading cause of death. The annual incidence of horse riding related head injuries is likely higher than the NEISS 2007 figure due to the fact that less severe head injuries may be treated at physician’s offices or an urgent care center, or self-treated and so are never included in the statistics. Concussions account for about 5 percent of emergency room visits, a figure that is more than double that for other major sports. Over 100 deaths per year are estimated to result from equestrian related activities, with 10-20 times as many head injuries

Dive gadgets = the breathy thing, the floaty mbobber, the tube, the duck feet, etc...

ok, if you wanna call it a hobby....well then hobby that is...a hobby that kills?? omg.---> The 7 Deadly Hobbies: Pastimes Your Insurer Hates - DailyFinance

honestly, i call myself more of a "concerned citizen".... i just want to convey my message to everyone..

....see? even the insurance companies declines people indulged in scuba diving... i'm just sayin

Interesting. In response to this:
So rovic, care to answer the question: Do you dive?

rovic said:
i'm not insane to get into diving hobby or sport whatever...LIFE IS PRECIOUS

2years ago i was about to enter into this diving sport,not until i register to this forum and read all about the accidents and fatalities on the Accident section., i told myself,WOW, i want to do a sport or hobby to enjoy and not to DIE....

yet in this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wr...ive-wrecks-like-andrea-doria.html#post6202997
he said:
I've been all over the Philippine's best diving sites, i've been to Apo island Dumaguete,Tubataha reef national marine park in Sulu Sea, Puerto Galera(always), Anilao(every beginner diver's fav), Moalboal Cebu and Corona Bay Palawan..name it!!

and here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wr...ive-wrecks-like-andrea-doria.html#post6204108
he said:
Centrals, i can tell that you are a neophyte diver, you really are not familiar with those diving spots i aforementioned.i didn't say that there were wrecks in there, because i really hate going to wrecks, just not my tempo! i like the coron palawan dive because of the water temp. and the clarity of the water.
if you ever go on those diving spots, just give me a haller,, i'll show you around,let's meet and i'll be delightful to teach you the proper way of diving.

So he’s, umh – inconsistent. (“inconsistent” being the most polite term I could think of)

ok, if you wanna call it a hobby....well then hobby that is...a hobby that kills?? omg.---> The 7 Deadly Hobbies: Pastimes Your Insurer Hates - DailyFinance

honestly, i am not a troll, i call myself more of a "concerned citizen".... a troll becomes happy when someone replies to his thread, i don't. i just want to convey my message to everyone..

....see? even the insurance companies declines people indulged in scuba diving... i'm just sayin

OMG! I thought everything on the internet was true, but here you went and found not one, but two web pages full have half truths and misconceptions.

you should probably stay off the internet because of the inherent dangers. If lightening struck while you were touching your keyboard, you could be electrocuted. Life is precious!

Interesting. In response to this:

rovic said:

yet in this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wr...ive-wrecks-like-andrea-doria.html#post6202997
he said:

and here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wr...ive-wrecks-like-andrea-doria.html#post6204108
he said:

So besides trolling he’s, umh – inconsistent. (“inconsistent” being the most polite term I could think of)

Sometimes you just never know who is on the other end of the computer...:wink:

Monkey with Computer 4.jpg

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A large number of comments have been removed or edited as they impugn the original poster. Some were down-right rude. Whether you agree or disagree, please be polite, remembering the special rules of this forum. If this persists, further sanctions may be considered. Marg, ScubaBoard Senior Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom