guys,before you consider any sport...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but I don't think the intent of the OP was a to actually educate new divers on the "dangers" of diving. Most of his other posts are rather "troll-y" in nature. Most involving the insistence that diving is terribly dangerous

I could be wrong but I don't think the intent of the OP was a to actually educate new divers on the "dangers" of diving. Most of his other posts are rather "troll-y" in nature. Most involving the insistence that diving is terribly dangerous

You are correct in that his history on ScubaBoard is to try to convince the world that diving in general is an insanely dangerous activity that no one should pursue. That is why Merxlin asked him if he is a diver. I suspect his first post was an attempt to blur the lines between cave diving (which truly is dangerous) and regular diving, which really isn't. I suspect his goal was to make them think that if cave diving is this dangerous, then all other diving must be pretty dangerous, too. I hope the responses to this thread thwarted that plan and helped new divers understand the difference. Knotical's comparison of hiking and rock climbing is a good analogy.

Most Top Ten lists should be given the same regard as considering David Letterman as a serious journalist...

The author of the Top 10 Incredibly Dangerous Sports on the Listverse site, Jamie Frater, has a personal agenda for creating this list…getting paid to create Top Ten Lists for entertainment purposes; not to write factual base articles. When you look just at the cave diving segment alone you will see it is riddled with false statements galore within it. There wasn't any research done just personal opinions, conjectures and flamboyant embellishments made.

I take this Top Ten list for what it is ... It is a vessel of fertilizer which it promotes growth and is very powerful that none may abide its' strength! :turd: :turd: :turd:

I feel much better about being an ice hockey goalie, we didn't even crack the top 10!!

<-- that's one dangerous chick, right there...

oh, yeah. i knew i wanted cave on ow dive #2 & pursued it with gazelle intensity & was taking cavern on dive #100 a year after that dive #2. i'm a total badass who also likes baking bread and driving my 6 year old to school, so stay out of my way, baby!

besides, it's not a sport. the only competition is with yourself.

Well, diving is not a sport. More of a hobby really. Have you seen most divers? Would you call that in shape? Hehe.

So rovic, care to answer the question: Do you dive?

i'm not insane to get into diving hobby or sport whatever...LIFE IS PRECIOUS

2years ago i was about to enter into this diving sport,not until i register to this forum and read all about the accidents and fatalities on the Accident section., i told myself,WOW, i want to do a sport or hobby to enjoy and not to DIE....

you may be asking why am i here?...i serve as an eye opener...copish?

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 11:39 PM ----------

why can't you guys accept the fact that scuba diving is dangerous?? plus the fact that diving equipments are super expensive. my goodness...i know that the people who's gonna hurt most about my Top 10 revelation are the scuba diving equipment businesses, sorry guys, i need to give the newcomers an option,and enlighten their minds.

i'm not insane to get into diving hobby or sport whatever...LIFE IS PRECIOUS

2years ago i was about to enter into this diving sport,not until i register to this forum and read all about the accidents and fatalities on the Accident section., i told myself,WOW, i want to do a sport or hobby to enjoy and not to DIE....

you may be asking why am i here?...i serve as an eye opener...copish?

With all due respect, your "eye opening" is not needed. Read the majority of posts about training and you will see how many people are promoting safety. Every one of knows or should know that we are in an environment that is not conducive to human life. It is a risk (and not as big a risk as you would have people believe) that we are willing to take to be part of the 70% of the planet that most people never get to see.

I understand if you have an aversion to diving, it's not for everybody. But coming into our house just to discourage people is a waste of effort, and honestly annoying. Trust me, if you have read as many posts in the accidents forum as you say you have, you'd see that almost every incident is attributed by those of us that dive to either a bad decision by the diver, or a lack of education. So forgive me if I suggest you find a new soapbox and leave us to our sport, hobby, lifestyle, whatever you want to call it, to those of us that love it.

With all due respect, your "eye opening" is not needed. Read the majority of posts about training and you will see how many people are promoting safety. Every one of knows or should know that we are in an environment that is not conducive to human life. It is a risk (and not as big a risk as you would have people believe) that we are willing to take to be part of the 70% of the planet that most people never get to see.

I understand if you have an aversion to diving, it's not for everybody. But coming into our house just to discourage people is a waste of effort, and honestly annoying. Trust me, if you have read as many posts in the accidents forum as you say you have, you'd see that almost every incident is attributed by those of us that dive to either a bad decision by the diver, or a lack of education. So forgive me if I suggest you find a new soapbox and leave us to our sport, hobby, lifestyle, whatever you want to call it, to those of us that love it.

i am not actually discouraging people,i am enlightening their minds and telling them that diving is not as easy as putting all the equipments on your body and dive....it entails a lot of training and technical know how, emphasizing that diving is very dangerous, by doing so people will be more aware of what they are getting into rather than being blind and blinded.
i don't need to discourage the professional divers because you already have proven to yourselves that diving isnt dangerous because you are still alive, the ones that failed to prove themselves died.

what im getting into here is that we have to lay all the cards, not always encourage.,people might get mislead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom