guys,before you consider any sport...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not insane to get into diving hobby or sport whatever...LIFE IS PRECIOUS

2years ago i was about to enter into this diving sport,not until i register to this forum and read all about the accidents and fatalities on the Accident section., i told myself,WOW, i want to do a sport or hobby to enjoy and not to DIE....

So I guess you never swim, surf, hike, ski, bicycle, pilot, boat, skydive, motorcycle, jet ski, horseback ride, or a bunch of other things like even cross the street cause people die from all of those activities.

why can't you guys accept the fact that scuba diving is dangerous?? plus the fact that diving equipments are super expensive. my goodness...i know that the people who's gonna hurt most about my Top 10 revelation are the scuba diving equipment businesses, sorry guys, i need to give the newcomers an option,and enlighten their minds.
Your "revelation"? Rubbish.

1) RISK DOES NOT EQUAL DANGER
Nobody claims that scuba diving is without risk, but the fact that there is risk does not equate to making the activity (neither simply a sport nor simply a hobby) dangerous. All dive training is essentially learning how to avoid most risks, attenuate others, and solve the rare problems that may arise in spite of our efforts to avoid/attenuate risks in order to effect a safe result.
2) EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT
So what? Ski equipment is expensive; does that mean that taking up skiing is unadvisable? College tuition is expensive; does that mean we should just opt out of higher education? Plane tickets are expensive; does that mean we should never travel further than we can get to cheaply? We spend our disposable income on whatever we value, whether it's scuba, skiing, travel, study, designer clothing, photography gear, racing bikes, snowmobiles, cappuccino machines, food for huge pet dogs, whatever.
3) GIVING NEWCOMERS OPTIONS
There is no need to "give options" to newcomers since there's nobody forcing SB readers to learn to dive. They already have all the options they need, thank you very much. It's all purely by choice that people come here to read about diving and subsequently take a diving course (or not, as in your case). You are delusional in your claim that you "need to give newcomers options and enlighten their minds."

Pure drivel.

Last edited:
i'm not insane to get into diving hobby or sport whatever...LIFE IS PRECIOUS

2years ago i was about to enter into this diving sport,not until i register to this forum and read all about the accidents and fatalities on the Accident section., i told myself,WOW, i want to do a sport or hobby to enjoy and not to DIE....

you may be asking why am i here?...i serve as an eye opener...copish?

I hope you also spent some time reading the many hundreds of posts from people who didn't instantly die the moment the slipped below the surface.

Diving has given so much to so many people and it is sad that your obsession with the morbid side of it has robbed you of the opportunity to experience the underwater world.

As Quero says, of course diving has risks, but it is not particularly dangerous. There are many things that are a lot more ordinary and far, far more lethal.

LIFE IS PRECIOUS... That's why I choose not to waste it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he's no worse with his anti-scuba missionary zeal than others among our membership who display a similar fanaticism in regard to certain gear configurations or training preferences or diving philosophies. We all think he's misguided, and he's really beating his head against a wall trying to preach his gospel to us, but even though we don't agree with his POV, it's really just another POV like so many others. All we can do is provide an alternative common-sense POV and make sure that any prospective divers who happen to stumble on this thread will see how very unsupported his POV is in actual fact.

Well,...well of course,we need to tell them everything about diving, it is not a simple sport,or hobby as others insist to call it. it's not like basketball or pingpong, your body is totally trapped in a body of water, if your diving gadget malfunction for whatever reason then your done,especially if you are 100+ feet below. it's not a joke.,there are a lot of news around the world about death/accidents etc involving diving instructors themselves, one cannot brag that they are a certified diver or what, one wrong move underwater and that's it...

First of all, let's be clear - I do not have gadgets.

Secondly, if something goes wrong with my kit or my equipment, I have redundancy built in, as well as a buddy who can help me out. I am no where near "done" - and that is the difference between people who read about things and don't know what they are talking about, and people who are actually out there doing it.

EXAMPLE: I've had a friend who had an o-ring go on one of two tanks RIGHT BEFORE she and her buddy were turning the dive. (BTW - at about 90 ffw & several hundred feet back in a cave). She calmly isolated her tanks, turned the dive, and got out of dodge. That was a loss of half of her gas supply - but it was not a crisis because we plan for stuff like that. As it was, she didn't even need to share gas with her buddy bc they were in a high flow cave - but that was always an option.

I get that the OP is a troll with some weird agenda but I am responding for people who will read in the future. Yes - we need to be safe and we need to get training... most cave divers are huge advocates of that... but this overdramatic "one thing goes wrong and you are going to die" BS is just silly.

Heck, I have done all those but the Luging... and I still consider crossing the street more dangerous, especially in downtown Denver! Yes.. it looks like the OP has an agenda!

First of all, let's be clear - I do not have gadgets.

Secondly, if something goes wrong with my kit or my equipment, I have redundancy built in, as well as a buddy who can help me out. I am no where near "done" - and that is the difference between people who read about things and don't know what they are talking about, and people who are actually out there doing it.

EXAMPLE: I've had a friend who had an o-ring go on one of two tanks RIGHT BEFORE she and her buddy were turning the dive. (BTW - at about 90 ffw & several hundred feet back in a cave). She calmly isolated her tanks, turned the dive, and got out of dodge. That was a loss of half of her gas supply - but it was not a crisis because we plan for stuff like that. As it was, she didn't even need to share gas with her buddy bc they were in a high flow cave - but that was always an option.

I get that the OP is a troll with some weird agenda but I am responding for people who will read in the future. Yes - we need to be safe and we need to get training... most cave divers are huge advocates of that... but this overdramatic "one thing goes wrong and you are going to die" BS is just silly.

Thanks for hitting on the "diving gadget malfunction" phrase. That was, by far, my favorite of the thread.

Risk assessment. I accept the risk, you don't. Thats ok. You couldn't pay me to ride a motorcycle in traffic around here, lots of others do. That's ok. Life would be boring if i were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom