Gustav

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree there will be devastation, but probably not much loss of life, Cubans and their government are actually quite effective at preparing for such events, they have been preparing for several days now, evacuating, and the government there spends quite a bit of resources to help people get out, specially the poorest people, and they don't have a choice either, they send the army and buses and make everyone evacuate. For all the social repression in Cuba they actually do take the "parent" role pretty well imho.

Yeah, I actually just read that elsewhere as well.

It looks like at least the western eyewall made landfall in a more sparsely populated area. But the hurricane force windpath is very large.

Looks like he's a Cat-4 now going for Cat-5. Tough one for western Cuba. Projections for Louisiana into Texas suggest seeking high ground ASAP whether the windows are covered are not. If he does hit that cold eddy, that could weaken him a little, but still a major threat for the lowlands.

I'm not sure it matters that much if hits the cold eddy and weakens. The problem is that once it clears Cuba it will hit that large area of warm water and could explode into a Katrina-sized category 5 storm. It may not make landfall with cat5 eyewall winds, but it should largely retain its size. Katrina was actually 'only' a cat3 when it made landfall, too. And the current predictions from NHC are actually that it strengthens to a cat5 and then only weakens to a cat4 on landfall...

We are connecting in Houston on Continental Monday at 2:30pm. Will there be flight delays or will they fly around?

We are connecting in Houston on Continental Monday at 2:30pm. Will there be flight delays or will they fly around?
You don't want to fly thru the eye of the storm? :11:

Interesting question. Houston is actually in the zone of uncertainty for Monday afternoon with one model showing it going thataway, but these maps and other predictions will change several times before Monday. If Gus stays away from there, your inbound and outbound planes will surely go around. If Gus happens to pay a more personal visit to the swamp known at Greater Houston, you may not. Depending on your origin, destination, and airline - you may be able to request they endorse your ticket to a cooperating airline to get you from A to B.

Since you're posting in the Coz forum, I'm guessing that you're flying Continental to Coz? IAH airport is on higher ground than Hobby I think. I'd hate to get stuck in Houston if an airport closed; I imagine they're already receiving evacuees from New Orleans. Good luck.

Gus.gif Gus2.gif Gus3.gif

Have they started unboarding shop windows yet?

Ummm...no one was boarded up to begin with. The port never closed, there was never a run on the stores or gas stations, we still have yet to have rain this afternoon/evening and the surface chop actually calmed down significantly this afternoon. The ferries were also back on schedule today. Everything has been business as usual...just watching cautiously and prepared to prepare for the storm if needed.

Ummm...no one was boarded up to begin with. The port never closed, there was never a run on the stores or gas stations, we still have yet to have rain this afternoon/evening and the surface chop actually calmed down significantly this afternoon. The ferries were also back on schedule today. Everything has been business as usual...just watching cautiously and prepared to prepare for the storm if needed.
Yeah I guess not. It's just such a relief to finally know it's a miss there, as it was always supposed to be - but was still concerned. I thought you'd lose a day of diving but maybe not. Hope not. Glad to see a stand-down of whatever preparations....

Landed in coz today about 11:30 or so. Water was very choppy with alot of whitecaps. Nice breeze been keeping it comfortable. Had a nice little thnderstorm with a bunch of rain, not sure if that was some far out outer band of gus or just a reg passing storm. Staying at Costa del Sol and the neighboring villa is all boarded up. All the rest have there hurricane shutters on but we are thinking they might always be closed whne not occupied.

One of the villa owners told us that the ferry was stopped earlier today but has since reopened? Also that the dive boats were not allowed out this morning but we saw a ton this afternoon. It was so nice and quiet in town today with the lack of ships, and visiters.

On our flight in the pilot said they were flying a bit off to go around the storm. was a smooth flight the whole way.

The streets we saw they starting to work on last year look to be done and they looked great. Only drove through be nice to see them on foot.Anyway if anyone is planning a trip as far as the island goes there would be no reason to change plans.

Thanks for the report. It's two weeks before we head for Cozumel, but we have been concerned for those who are there now. It's great that Gustav passed it by. Happy diving!

... All the rest have there hurricane shutters on but we are thinking they might always be closed whne not occupied.

One of the villa owners told us that the ferry was stopped earlier today but has since reopened? Also that the dive boats were not allowed out this morning but we saw a ton this afternoon. It was so nice and quiet in town today with the lack of ships, and visiters.

Yes, most villas/condos keep the hurricane shutters closed when not occupied.

The villa owner gave you incorrect/misinformed information. Port was open yesterday and boats went out on schedule. Last passenger ferry was at 6pm Friday, but resumed normal operations yesterday.

The port IS closed right now for boats under 40ft (Sunday morning) because we have wind coming directly from the west...but clear blue sunny skies. We suspect the port will open today for afternoon dives.

In town, we only had a brief (20 minutes or so) heavy shower yesterday morning and that was it. No rain last night or today.

I'll post an update later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom