Gulfstream Park... Delray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dantastic

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading up on palm beach's artificial reef program, and saw that there is a large rock rubble reef at gulfstream park in delray. I was wondering if anyone had any details on this like how far off the beach, depth, better location(north or south of beach entrance). I'm looking to make it a get wet dive for times when i dont want to drive down to lauderdale if it is decent for what it is. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Delray Beach did a huge sand pumping operation to restore their beaches that I guess they finished last year. I've never heard of anyone shore diving there - there were clouds of silt in the water column for months on end. Great offshore stuff - there's a ledge line at 130' that runs from Broward right through Juno that will take years to cover.

There is an awesome reef in 60', but it's too far from shore to swim. I snorkelled that area yesterday (after diving the reef in the morning). There are rocks and a series of undercut limestone ledges. It would not be worth taking tanks if you can dive to 10-15 feet. All in all, I would recommend paying the $55 for a boat ride to some awesome reef.

Cheers,
Jamie

yeah, i know the reef here is much better out on a boat dive, but i figured it might be a decent place for some snorkeling locally. i may have misused the word 'dive' in my original post as it seems to be in 10-15 of water and i doubt i would bring tanks out there. I just thought it would be a good place to get in the water during the week when i cant get out on a boat.

If you go, head north to the sailboats. Their mast is a great position indicator. The sand has recently shifted, opening up a lot of rock on the inside. There is a sandbar that recently formed about 120' off shore. It's easy to spot. Head seaward of this sand until you hit a limestone ledge.
There are some cool shells. I have seen some cool stuff there. In the mornings, schools of adult tarpon have moved through.There are always small rays.

The best bet is to ask the lifeguards. They live on the beach during the day and are a wealth of information.

Cheers,
Jamie

Dan, the rubble reef that you are taking about is about 125 yards east of the northern-most lifeguard buoy. You guys may have done dive one of your certification there... I can't remember. Anyway, it's pretty cool. There's pretty good stuff out there, but it's kind-of a big swim. If there's current it can be hard to hit.
The ledge that Dive Sherpa is talking about is pretty cool too. I was snorkeling there with him and a friend and found a green sea turtle sleeping under one of the ledges.
Ther's a couple of other spots too, like the Loftus wreck and Delray Wreck. I've also heard that there's access to the Blue Heron Bridge now, if you do it right. I'm trying to head up there soon, let me know if you want to go, or swing by he shop and I'll show you how to get to those other spots.

Thanks for the info guys. I will definetly take sherpa's advice and talk to the lifeguards, dont know why i didnt think of that.

Kev, i did my first dives at blue heron. I've been wanting to check out the delray wreck and the lofthus wreck too. Ill swing by the shop this week to get some more info on those spots and how to dive at blue heron. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom