Gulf Shores dive attempt and lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realized, certification doesnt mean much.

Just an update, 2 more successful dives with the boys. Time and practice....we are over coming!

I hope you realize now that certification does mean something, but it doesn't mean EVERYTHING! I tell all my students that the cert is a "license to learn" so they should go out and keep putting to work what I've taught them in order to climb the learning curve. Sounds like you and your boys are well on your way up that slope! Congrats!

I hope you realize now that certification does mean something, but it doesn't mean EVERYTHING! I tell all my students that the cert is a "license to learn" so they should go out and keep putting to work what I've taught them in order to climb the learning curve. Sounds like you and your boys are well on your way up that slope! Congrats!

You are correct Quero. It is a key to unlock the door to additional adventures and learning. It has truly been a very productive week regarding our scuba journey. Although initially painful, our decision to dive without a dm and struggle through some of our ordeals, has been very educational. Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement.

Good choice and good actions taken! I think you are a good role model to your kids in terms of dive safety.

When me and my wife did our OW our very excellent instructor made a point of us both setting up our equipment ourselves. To this day we will not let anyone else touch our stuff. Your equipment is what keeps you alive, you as the diver is ultimately responsible for your own safety.

I guess it's my time in the army that has taught me that the only way of knowing everything is ok with your kit is to do it yourself, check it yourself and then have someone else check it again. Communal kit gets setup by the designated person and then double checked by someone else. We are not always 100% on top of what we are doing hence the need for buddy checks.

Of course I help my wife lifting the stupidly heavy equipment, or help other divers kit up or dekitt. Buddy check - always! But the kit you set up yourself. If you can't or won't set up your kit after OW you are an unsafe diver in my book and you are not coming diving with me.

Sure you might forget how something works and you can always ask, but the purpose of the answer is to teach you, not to do it for you.

I avoid long schleps in a wetsuit. I try to get my gear down to the beach and then suit up. I agree with the person who said two trips are better than one over loaded. I also try to be the last one to gear up ( I suit up faster than most of the partners I've had). On shore dives (conditions permitting) I often inflate the BCD partially and then put on in the shallows, then go through the buddy check just to make sure everything is seated right. Saves a lot of heaving and sweating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom