Gulf Diving in the Clearwater Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there much diving in the Clearwater area, and if so does anyone have any dive op recommendations?

Looking to possibly fit some dives in. Anywhere between St Pete and Crystal River could be made to fit the plan.

Thanks,
txgoose

There are a ton of divers there. From as shallow as a couple feet for scallops out way offshore for deep technical wreck diving. lots of spearfishing.
I don't know of the charters, but if you try the local shops maybe they can point you towards some. I have a lot of friends still diving that have their own boats. My FB feed has pics every day the weather is doable lately.

Txgoose,

Hit me up when you're ready to dive here. I'm between Clearwater and St. Pete, and always ready to go out.

This area offers a lot of types of diving. There is an extensive artificial reef system off Pinellas County that is pretty good habitat and includes everything from bridge rubble to old army tanks. The Circle of Heroes underwater memorial, ten miles off Hurricane Pass in about 45 feet of water, is worth a visit. While you're there, a second dive at the airplane barge 200 yards away will put you on some Goliath Grouper. Further south and a little further offshore (and a little deeper) are the wrecks of the Coast Guard Cutter Blackthorn and the tug Sheridan. If you want to spearfish, you need to go farther offshore into deeper water, but there are operators who will take you there. Crystal River doesn't offer as much diving, and manatee season closes of much of that, but there is a cavern there with a room stuffed with snook. If you're cavern certified and want to go deep, Hospital Hole on the Weeki Wachee River is about 135-140 feet. Rainbow River offers a relaxing (but shallow) dive with some interesting geological features and lots of freshwater life.

A little bit south of the area you described, in Venice, there is good shark tooth hunting.

As far as dive operators, I like 2Shea Charters, which runs out of Clearwater. Narcosis out of Tarpon Springs is good, too.

Are you here now or planning a visit after the virus passes?

I've went out with TJ @ 2shea a few times. They're good folks. The parking situation there has gotten fubared though....

I think we did airplane barge the last time I went out with them before SHTF. these are the grouper under an airplane wing....

Attachments

• SnipImage.JPG
    SnipImage.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 94
@Scraps

I am coming down for the first week of June to visit family and scout relocation options. I would love to get a couple days diving in. I will be in St.Pete so just wondering what my best options are. I will have everything with me except tanks , maybe weights and I don't have a tow able dive flag float. What operations or shops run the best trips? Just looking for good options the last wet time I had was Bonaire this past August. Feel free to PM me if you want, you input would be greatly appreciated.

@Scraps

I am coming down for the first week of June to visit family and scout relocation options. I would love to get a couple days diving in. I will be in St.Pete so just wondering what my best options are. I will have everything with me except tanks , maybe weights and I don't have a tow able dive flag float. What operations or shops run the best trips? Just looking for good options the last wet time I had was Bonaire this past August. Feel free to PM me if you want, you input would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I'm slow in responding. I was out diving today.

I'll send you a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom