Gulf Dive Thursday 10/5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCoastdiver:
Looks like 2-4 footers today I hope it lays down some by tomorrow...

I was out today and it was rough. I did a work dive (benthic monitoring) on a natural ledge, Bunces Pass. Visibility was so-so, about 15-20, maybe 25 feet. Lots of small reef fish about too (perch, beaugregories, gobies, etc.). Those sand perch were very curious about my quadrat...they kept coming up and mouthing it...looking for a free meal no doubt. I'm sure the PVC tasted lovely to them too. lol I didn't see many of the invertebrates that I was looking for (motile inverts), but the small corals, octos, and good algae looked healthy for the most part. Not a bad dive overall.

I'm heading out tomorrow to another site...sure hope the seas are calmer!

Good diving to you guys/gals.

Oceandvr:
I was out today and it was rough. I did a work dive (benthic monitoring) on a natural ledge, Bunces Pass. Visibility was so-so, about 15-20, maybe 25 feet. Lots of small reef fish about too (perch, beaugregories, gobies, etc.).

I'm heading out tomorrow to another site...sure hope the seas are calmer!

OK where do I sign up for the gig that lets me do work dives? I gotta get me some of that. Damn that would be a reasonable excuse for the mass money I have spent in gear. :D Come on you have to need an assistant right:eyebrow: I promise I will be good:D

No kidding, I'm in the wrong profession.

I could've used another dive buddy yesterday to help out, but it's not my gig - I'm just a worker bee (and one very happy to dive as well) on another Fish & Wildlife scientist's project. There are jobs out there that are dive related...they're just few and far between.

Speaking of jobs...I need to get ready to head out. I'll post later on about today's dive.

Have a great day, everyone!

Oceandvr:
I could've used another dive buddy yesterday to help out, but it's not my gig - I'm just a worker bee (and one very happy to dive as well) on another Fish & Wildlife scientist's project. There are jobs out there that are dive related...they're just few and far between.

Speaking of jobs...I need to get ready to head out. I'll post later on about today's dive.

Have a great day, everyone!

Now you tell me. I had nothing to do yesterday. I could have come out to help just to get to dive. Story of my life. Day late and dollar short.

Any of hte pics come out?

I haven't seen the pictures yet. I'm not sure if they've even been downloaded either. I'll check when I get into the office. And I'll post a few when I'm able to do so.

Yesterday's dive was not as rough as the Wednesday's, but still the rollers made for a tough swim to the buoy line. And there was a large, pesky remora that interrupted all of our sampling. Darn thing was a pain in the you know what!

Does anyone have gps numbers for natural ledges between Tarpon and Venice? I'm not looking for artificial reefs or reef balls or culverts or anything near the pipeline...just natural reef/substrate ledges or formations. I'd like to compare numbers to the long list that we have. Thanks in advance!

Happy Friday!! :cheers:

Pics:

Gulftrip10-5-2006005.jpg

Gulftrip10-5-2006003.jpg

Gulftrip10-5-2006002.jpg

Nice stone crab photos. I didn't see any of those on my dives this week...lots of macro algae, urchins, and a few scattered corals though.

I saw the photos that my crew took of our survey sites. They're not that great actually...mostly of the transect tape and the inverts or algae around it.

Anyone know of a company that makes an underwater audio recorder, one that you can take audio notes with?

Oceandvr:
Nice stone crab photos. I didn't see any of those on my dives this week...lots of macro algae, urchins, and a few scattered corals though.

I saw the photos that my crew took of our survey sites. They're not that great actually...mostly of the transect tape and the inverts or algae around it.

Anyone know of a company that makes an underwater audio recorder, one that you can take audio notes with?

That guy was actually huge - can't tell from the pic - my bad. Don't know about a recorder. I know where you can get an MP3 player for underwater though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom