Gulf dive charters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to the future here since I haven't even started my OW class yet, but here goes... Can anyone recommend good, affordable Gulf diving options? I saw one charter operation that listed rig dives 2-3 tanks for $200 per diver. Is this fairly typical? High? Low?

I'm kind of working on the assumption that it simply not possible to shore dive in the ocean. I know that this is an option for some lake diving. What are some of your most affordable gulf diving recommendations? I'm guessing that a lot of new local divers have this same question.

I've also heard of Flower Gardens, is that right? A girl I work with told me that is not a great beginner option because of strong currents. Any thoughts on this? Anyone know costs to get out to dive there?

Thanks as always.

Yeah, unless you're related to Jacques Cousteau, I'm not exactly sure how much Gulf diving you're going to get to do lately.

In regards to your charter question, a good gauge as "average" is about $50 per dive. So if you go for a 2 dive charter, $100 would be about a median price. After discussing much of the same thing with many different divers, that's what I've come up with.

If you do go to the Gulf, don't forget your BP wear:

Attachments

• BPtees.jpg
    BPtees.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 71
I would recommend a trip to the Flower Gardens with a reputable and responsible dive operator. I have used the M/V Spree and personally I am quite confident that Captain Frank would NEVER put divers in harm's way. That being said, your safety depends entirely upon yourself and your comfort/experience level. Also, if anyone can recommend an operator on the Texas side of the Gulf that only charges $50 a tank I'd appreciate the info!

I definitely think the Flower Gardens is in my future, but not for a while. The budget is going to be taking a beating for the next year or so. Aside from outfitting myself with a full set of dive gear, and several classes we have a trip to the Dominican Republic scheduled for next summer. This is going to be a big chunk of cash, and will pretty much wipe out any dive budget I may have. The following year we are hoping to hit Belize, so that will be a tight year too. Someday though, I'll get out to the Flower Gardens.

I would recommend having your advanced and nitrox certs before going to the Flower Gardens. The Spree is now operating out of Florida, so that leaves the Fling, which is on the spill detail.

Cozumel is a great value for ocean diving. As a comparrision, add about $300.00 to the price of a FG trip and you get a nice stay in Cozumel. Also, you'll get there several hours faster than you can get to FG.

Rig dives in the gulf generally run $250 - $300, depending on the operator and where you are leaving from. That generally provides you with a 2 or 3 tank dive.

Another option is to take a trip to South Padre Island. You can dive the Texas Clipper, as well as several rigs. I think American diving charges $225 for a 2 tank trip to the Clipper.

Another option is to take a trip to South Padre Island. You can dive the Texas Clipper, as well as several rigs. I think American diving charges $225 for a 2 tank trip to the Clipper.

Such a buffing at ($175.00) if you ask me to pay for a looks'y at an artificial reef/ship on her side and cracking, 2 dives. :rofl3: Best if you can make it during Dive Week: South Padre Island Dive Week !!

In regards to your charter question, a good gauge as "average" is about $50 per dive. So if you go for a 2 dive charter, $100 would be about a median price. After discussing much of the same thing with many different divers, that's what I've come up with.

Nope, not even close. You must be thinking about the Florida gulf. You can expect to pay about $100 per dive along the Texas gulf except you can get some near shore sites down in South Padre for a little less.

try these guys. Home I have very little experience with them never been on their boat, but the website looks good.:D

Such a buffing at ($175.00) if you ask me to pay for a looks'y at an artificial reef/ship on her side and cracking, 2 dives. :rofl3: Best if you can make it during Dive Week: South Padre Island Dive Week !!

I can't bring myself to pay this much for 2 recreational dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom