Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unfortunately nobody gives a damn about the environment since being environmentally compatible has additional costs in the short term and would affect profits. Being environmentally unfriendly has gains in the short term but in the long term it is leading to an apocalypse and we will all pay a staggering price eventually. By 2048 there is going to be no more sealife left in the oceans but nobody seems to give a damn... the administration only acts like they care but in reality it is all about lobbies and dollars, they don't give a crap if everything is extinct in the next 50 years.

You said it my friend and it truly is a disgrace that everybody is sitting around with their thumb up their ass and they all get very indignant when you point it out. The dollar rules but as we are seeing the ends do not justify the means.

I know it should have been prevented, and it is gonna destroy the economy down south, and raise gas prices, but I dont think envromentally it is that bad. 60% of the oil that finds its way into water comes from the earth just leaking on its own, 35% eventually comes from our runoff,4% from other, and %1 from oil exploration, transportation spills!

Heres the breakdown 5000 barrels per day leaking is 42 gal per barrel is 210,000 gallons per day, is 8,750 per hour is 145 gallons per minute..

I am a firefighter, and this is the same amount that comes out of our 1 3/4 hoses we use to fight your small house fires, we set our system up to get 150 gpm at the nozzle. We are able to hold this in our hands, wave it around, and walk with that flowing.

There is an average of 642 trillion gallons of water in the gulf, and the Mississippi River deposits more than 3.3 million gallons of water into the Gulf every second! We all know 1 drop of oil into a puddle seems like 5 gallons. I think this is going to create a shene on the water, at worst case mostly settle on the bottom as it is churned by wave action, and hardly make any deposits on shorelines.

Should it be prevented..yes, should we not care, and let it happen at will...no, should we run around waving our hands like the sky is falling, and our hair is on fire....HELL no! Its just like trading futures on stocks can eff up the system. Your letting our government and the media get you all worked up, so they can justify bending you, and the industry over later with higher restrictions, gas prices ect. Ooh and the bigger they make this, the better the cap and trade argument will seem for them.

Last edited:
Well I have to say that this was one of the more interesting reads I have had in a while. There are obviously some very intelligent and educated individuals here. I certainly learned a lot. As someone that is only getting information on this tragic situation from the news, I have an entirely different perspective now. I still feel that a company the profits billions of dollars by
risking harm to the environment should have more contingencies than a BOP. We have sadly had more than one oil spill in history. We should have learned from history. We should require these companies to have immediate solutions to address oil spills. I was disappointed to see how little was being accomplished by the small fleet of boats. Is that the best we can come up with!! Sadly the environment will be affected but to what level, no one knows.

The environmental ramifications are great and I cry every single time I think about it. I've loved the ocean all my life and in my area, you can watch the beaches degrading. I haven't been diving here yet, but I read that underwater it's much the same.

I don't know how an oil rig works. I don't have any insight into what might make this better. Safer. More reliable. It makes my heart heavy to think of the marine life that will be turning up dead on our shores. Oil covered birds that cannot help themselves. It's very sad. it seems like more of the talk is about the dollar, and the environment comes in second... I don't understand that.

Last edited:
Apparently there is a significant risk of this spill getting much, much worse. Officials are now talking about millions of gallons a day instead of thousands:
Leaked report: Government fears Deepwater Horizon well could become unchecked gusher | al.com

You said the magic word right there GOVERNMENT no doubt it sucks, but it will get taken care of, this is not the end of the world, and people will learn from this and hopefully take steps to mitigating this type of thing.

We act like this is the first time it has happened. I happens every year, just not here, all over the world something like this happens, they just dont freak out like we do. The last one I remember was August last year off the coast down under where the kangaroos live.

There are huge ass spills in the gulf all the time. Hell it was estimated that 7 million gallons of oil was released due to hurricane katrina. Have a look here and relax the sky is not falling. The earth is a resilent mother effer!

Oil Spills and Disasters — Infoplease.com how many of these got this much attention? I have only heard of 1 or 2 and some were much worse

there are a lot of intelligent people on here, and some that obviously dont know what they are talking about.... you know what comes out of a fire hose????? WATER not freakin oil.

This will have great ramifications and there is reason to be worried.

Worry = pressure from public opinion = getting things fixed.

The Ixtoc 1 blowout was I believe the largest spill in history and in the Gulf and the Gulf recovered.
So far this blowout is only a tiny fraction of the Ixtoc spill and will probably be contained long before it gets anywhere near being what Ixtoc was.
Ixtoc I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dreamer ... what world are you living in?

The upside down funnel most likley wont work due to the fact if you use a hose to suck it out it will need to hold up against 2216 psi water pressure at 5000 ft and not collapse, or find a pump bad ass enough to pump it up 5000 ft.

Better study your physics

The sea water and oil in the hose at any depth will be equal to the sea water out side of the hose at an equal depth. The hose can't collapse.
The pump only needs to be able to pump from the surface of the sea to what ever the height is on the boat or barge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom