Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And to think, the fire which took down the rig was caused by a can of spilled turpintine.

My God Bless the 11 persons who perished.

The Ixtoc 1 blowout was I believe the largest spill in history and in the Gulf and the Gulf recovered.
So far this blowout is only a tiny fraction of the Ixtoc spill and will probably be contained long before it gets anywhere near being what Ixtoc was.

Ixtoc I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably canceling Oriskany dive scheduled for next weekend due to potential path of the oil plume. Terrible, terrible accident. Having grown up in Louisiana, very sand to see the effects on the wildlife. Hopefully this can be brought under control as soon as possible.

I dove the Oriskany on April 17th and feel really lucky now. The new "estimate" is up to 1,375,000 gallons a day. :shakehead:

Hey, McCainiac...source please? The figure you quote works out to be about 25,000 barrels a day, which is up there in the league of the Ixtoc spill of 1980, arguably that worst oil spill of all time. It's also over five times even the "new" estimate of 5000 barrels a day, which is still the figure posted by NOAA. I don't doubt your word, but I'd just like to check that source.

Uh, no, you needn't worry about the saltwater affecting the oil reserves.

I have a MS plus 30 in geology so I know what I am talking about.

As to well paid engineers, I don't know, I think some ordinance to crush the casing might work. But I am a geologist and as such never thought much of the engineers.

N

As stated, saltwater doesn't have anywhere near close enough hydrostatic head (think in diving terms, 33ft=1bar=29psi) to kill the well and flow down into the reservoir. If it did, then the well wouldn't be flowing and we would have this problem. I am not familiar with this area, but the reservoir is definately in the 15,000+ psi range. They were more than likely using extremely heavy mud, which still didn't hold back the kick (which is probably what happened)

As for the ordinance idea, not possible. Right now the well is flowing at such high a volume, velocity and pressure, that the weakend casing could not hold it back, let alone seal off enought to stop it. That is why BOPs (blowout preventors) are such massive and expensive pieces of equipment. Even a pinhole leak under that pressure and rate would erode through in a very short period of time. Why it (BOP) failed to operate will be the main subject of the investigation, IMO. Had it functioned like it was designed, it would have cost BP alot due to lost equipment and time, but there would have been no explosion or this spill. That is why the industry is required to perform rigorous inspections and BOP drills so often.

As a petroleum engineer, several coworkers and I were discussing this exact scenario the moment the rig sunk. If they cannot get the BOP to function (which it appears they can't) the only option is containment until the relief well is drilled (which will be months). They will drill into the existing wellbore and pump very dense heavy mud into the wellbore to "kill" the well. Then the can begin the repair process.

What a horrible tragedy.

Hey, McCainiac...source please? The figure you quote works out to be about 25,000 barrels a day, which is up there in the league of the Ixtoc spill of 1980, arguably that worst oil spill of all time. It's also over five times even the "new" estimate of 5000 barrels a day, which is still the figure posted by NOAA. I don't doubt your word, but I'd just like to check that source.

According to the "new" NOAA and CG data that they were discussing in the News Conference I just watch on CNN and.....

Oil May Be Leaking at Rate of 25,000 Barrels a Day in Gulf - WSJ.com

I would think if it is not stopped it would eventually kill more than the gulf, but I'll assume there are some well paid engineers losing sleep over this.

another issue will be all the salt water pouring down into the oil reserves. Might make oil production in the area a little off forever. I have no idea, or information just thinking out loud.

I wish the engineers would think of this stuff BEFORE they build it. Just take 5 minutes and think, "what happens if this super deep oil well breaks open, then what do we do?"

sigh, this is all so upsetting

I wish the engineers would think of this stuff BEFORE they build it. Just take 5 minutes and think, "what happens if this super deep oil well breaks open, then what do we do?"

sigh, this is all so upsetting

They had thought of this. That is why there are BOPs (blow-out preventors) on every rig. And they must be tested frequently and drills for emergency performed very regularly.

It appears this failed, which it was not supposed to, obviously.

What effects will it have over the summer if they can't stop the 200,000 plus gallons a day pouring into the gulf for 3 months? I just passed on putting a deposit on a place in Pensacola for this summer because things aren't looking good. :depressed:

Probably canceling Oriskany dive scheduled for next weekend due to potential path of the oil plume. Terrible, terrible accident. Having grown up in Louisiana, very sand to see the effects on the wildlife. Hopefully this can be brought under control as soon as possible.

These posts highlight an action that any divers or vacationers who have cancelled an existing reservation, are planning to cancel an existing reservation, or who were planning a trip but have changed or tabled their plans, can take to help track the impact of the spill and its economic damage. Operators can track a cancelled reservation, but cannot know, unless you help, that you cancelled because of the spill, or that you were thinking about coming to the area and changed your mind because of the spill.

If you are cancelling, or planning to cancel, because of the spill, let your operator know that is your reason. Businesses and charter operators all along the coast are tracking the impact and need this information.

If you were planning to come to the coast, and have changed or tabled those plans prior to making the reservation, regardless of the business involved, let the business know. Charter operators, rental property owners, campgrounds, etc., all need to know.

We don't know what the impact will be and are not encouraging people to change plans. But if you do change plans because of the spill, let the affected business know. Thanks for your help.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com
Dr Dive | Facebook

These posts highlight an action that any divers or vacationers who have cancelled an existing reservation, are planning to cancel an existing reservation, or who were planning a trip but have changed or tabled their plans, can take to help track the impact of the spill and its economic damage. Operators can track a cancelled reservation, but cannot know, unless you help, that you cancelled because of the spill, or that you were thinking about coming to the area and changed your mind because of the spill.

If you are cancelling, or planning to cancel, because of the spill, let your operator know that is your reason. Businesses and charter operators all along the coast are tracking the impact and need this information.

If you were planning to come to the coast, and have changed or tabled those plans prior to making the reservation, regardless of the business involved, let the business know. Charter operators, rental property owners, campgrounds, etc., all need to know.

We don't know what the impact will be and are not encouraging people to change plans. But if you do change plans because of the spill, let the affected business know. Thanks for your help.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com
Dr Dive | Facebook

I am assuming this is to track lost income to their operations? That way the businesses can say they lost $$$ income and can sue BP to recoup their losses?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom