Guimaras Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it just went from bad to worse - "The PCG said the oil spill has also reached the Taklong Island National Marine Reserve located at the southern tip of Guimaras island. The reserve has 29 genera of hard corals, 144 species of fish, seven species of sea grasses and three species of mangroves"

They're seeking foreign help? Of course they are! The screwballs are'nt even on the job checking ships or crews for seaworthiness; i'll bet that's the reason for this disaster in the first place. Get this: they're even asking local fishermen to "help in the effort" by scooping up sludge on their shores.

Like i said their corruption and mismanagement of funds is overworn, especially when they cry they have no resources. They simply have no balls or discipline to do the proper job.

Why do i have such a gripe with them? Well i remember being stuck on a boat with my uncle after diving as a youngster... we had to swim a kilometer to shore in the dark with big waves. We get to the coast guard "station" and what do we find? The losers are on their third bottle of gin during a card game.

Their commander or whatever lifted his sando and even blamed us: "Nag-isyu kami nga ng bulletin na walang dapat lumabas.." Thanks a lot commodore! The eventual message: Give us 900 pesos to do our jobs and haul in ur boat.

It's made it to Western news agencies now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4795649.stm
http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/08/15/philippine_province_fights_oil_spill/
410w.jpg

If that AP report is belieavable, the tanker is now sitting in 3,000ft of water!!!

Lifted from Philstar

Front.jpg

Back
Top Bottom