"Guided" 200' dive with a single AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, you're all just speculating facts. No one here really knows what went down that day. I will say this. Whatever we did that day was between us. How deep we went is really none of your concern. I have dove with ALOT of folks from this board and nobody has ever felt that I "lead" them into a deeper water or a dangerrous situation. And BTW, I totally discouraged them (my fellow divers that day of the hammerhead) from doing the dive below 150ft. I was not the one jumping around waving my hands say" Oh, Oh, let's go there!" It just wasn't the case. And some of you continue to harp on me. So do what you have to do to sleep good at night. I know I just woke up from 9 hours of great sleep, so none if your rants are bothering me. Also, for the record, I did sign up yesterday for the IANTD Deep Diver course. I'll keep everyone informed how's it going. :wink:

Bull! You made it our concern when you posted the videos and bragged about it. A little late for covering your butt now. And the IANTD deep course will NOT qualify you to lead dives to those depths. It will not qualify you to teach people to go to those depths. All it will allow you to do is dive to 130 ft. the IANTD deep course is not a technical course according to their web site. IANTD does not endorse or train for deep air dives. What they will do is offer a normoxic trimix for those who wish to dive between 130 and 200 and are not confortable doing it on air. They will not train you to do it on air however. And being that the deep course is within rec depths I don't see them showing you how to use the proper gear configurations as well. Nice try but if you wanna blow smoke better make sure you got the right fuel for the fire.

Hi PlayaCountryBoy. I'm not posting to bash you. Alot of other people already have, and they're right.

Here's a link to the thread which TS&M and others have referenced re the poor kid that died in Puget Sound.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/166222-lost-diver-puget-sound.html

I think most of the folks here read the accidents and incidents forum regularly to try to learn from others mistakes. You can too.

When I read your posts on here and TDS I remembered this sad story. Maybe the result of posting your vid is that you can now help prevent these kinds of terrible accidents?

For God's sake, dive safe and have fun!

Anybody else get a PM from this guy. I did. Asking me who I think I am since I'm only a DM with no divers certed. He claims to have certified 1000's of divers. with no accidents or incidents. He also states I was not there and have no facts (other than what he himself posted) and that his record speaks for itself. He also states that Padi will throw my report in the trash but to go ahead if it makes me feel better. Well guess what? That was just the little push I needed. I sent a prelim to them just now by email, I've contacted the decostop to see if they will allow me access to his posts over there. All of them were pulled after complaints by myself and others since they were recognized as being so much BS and having nothing to do with technical diving. He has also pulled the utube videos. Guess the cover your butt mode is fully engaged now.

You are absolutely right. But you have to start somewhere and the Deep Diver course is the one I AM starting with. There's your fuel.

I think the IANTD "deep diver" course is a fine place to start. If you combine it with the Advanced Nitrox course the max allowable training depth is still 130 ft but you can get into a few minutes of decompression.

Taught correctly, both courses (combined or taken seperately) are skill intensive and you should learn plenty. Like they say, you don't know what you don't know.

Personally, I don't care to go to 200 ft without a set of doubles filled with trimix and a couple of decompression gasses. That makes it an easy, fun dive with plenty of margin in case things go wrong.

Hi PlayaCountryBoy. I'm not posting to bash you. Alot ofother people already have, and they're right.

Here's a link to the thread which TS&M and others have referenced re the poor kid that died in Puget Sound.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/166222-lost-diver-puget-sound.html

I think most of the folks here read the accidents and incidents forum regularly to try to learn from others mistakes. You can too.

When I read your posts on here and TDS I remembered this sad story. Maybe the result of posting your vid is that you can now help prevent these kinds of terrible accidents?

Thank you for the link to the post from TS&M. I agree...these incidents are tragedies. And I am certainly not in the business to make tragedies....only to help people enjoy the sea. I have learned something from reading all the posts and will continue learning, 'cause that's what life's about, isn't it? All I can tell you is this: NO ONE needs to go down below the recommend max limit of 132ft or 40m without the proper training. Period. I KNOW. Now...if some of you feel you need to further counsel me then feel free but you're point has been made.

Anybody else get a PM from this guy. I did. Asking me who I think I am since I'm only a DM with no divers certed. He claims to have certified 1000's of divers. with no accidents or incidents. He also states I was not there and have no facts (other than what he himself posted) and that his record speaks for itself. He also states that Padi will throw my report in the trash but to go ahead if it makes me feel better. Well guess what? That was just the little push I needed. I sent a prelim to them just now by email, I've contacted the decostop to see if they will allow me access to his posts over there. All of them were pulled after complaints by myself and others since they were recognized as being so much BS and having nothing to do with technical diving. He has also pulled the utube videos. Guess the cover your butt mode is fully engaged now.

I don't want to discourage you but I'm not sure that PADI could do anything if they wanted to. Training standards only apply during training. If no training was being conducted, there are no standards to be broken.

Maybe they could get on him about violating the "safe diving practices statement of understanding" or something but I doubt it.

You really should read it. Rumor has it the instructor (was he an instructor? I have to read it again myself) had his certs revoked and is now a truck driver in Iraq. Probably rumors.

...and is now a truck driver in Iraq. Probably rumors.

:rofl3: That's funny! But the first part is probably true. When I worked in Thailand, there was a Canadian female instructor doing an Advanced course with two people. She had a DMT with her. Half way down while making the Deep dive portion of the Adv. course, the older of the two students starts grasping at his chest. She leaves him with the DMT and she continued to the 100' bottom with the other student. Well, dude takes off for the surface, DMT lets him go. His chest was ballooned out my the time he hit the surface. That night, she packed up everything and slipped out in the middle of night leaving work, boyfriend, and everything. The next day the police were looking for her and she was no where to be found. I am sure she got her license revoked...or I hope so. The autopsy report show the eldery man had a heartattack underwater. The lung-expansion injury was secondary. Either way, she was at fault for leaving a distressed diver with a not-yet professional and going on down with the diver who was fine. Talk about lessons learned. I have seen alot out here, and I learn from others mistakes. Trust me when I say...I am as safe a diver as you'll ever find. I definitely want to expand my knowledge, thus making it safer for the dives I do, solo, with family, friends or guests. I am looking now into Trimix diving. I don't want to take folks into deep waters...But I wouldn't mind seeing what's down there!:D

Anybody else get a PM from this guy.

I read a few posts on TDS (I'm sure you did too) that he pm'd a few people.

I don't want to discourage you but I'm not sure that PADI could do anything if they wanted to. Training standards only apply during training. If no training was being conducted, there are no standards to be broken.

Maybe they could get on him about violating the "safe diving practices statement of understanding" or something but I doubt it.

Seems like the dive outfit would be interested though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom