GUIDE ON CHOOSING A DIVE COMPUTER - Abyss Ocean World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abyss Ocean World

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Abyss Ocean World Liveaboard

One piece of equipment that is very important for any diver to have is a dive computer. It ensures that you remain safe, without having to work with dive tables to make your calculations. In order to get one that is well suited to your needs, do some research prior to making your purchase. Here are 7 steps that will help you make a great choice.

divers-668777_1280.jpg

Consider Your Diving Level
This is important because a beginner and an experienced diver do not have the same needs. Their diving levels are different and that should be considered. If you find that the dive computer’s description is beyond you, it is probably more advanced than what you need.

How much do you want to spend?
Your budget range can also help you make a decision. Dive computers start at $200 and can go to over $1000. If you are a beginner, you can find some good ones at a relatively good price. If you are not too concerned about cost, consider getting one that has multi-gas capability, digital compass and air integration.

Readability
This may sound obvious, but it’s not. Get a dive computer that is easy to read when you are wearing your mask. Get one that is back lit and has big numbers.

Compatibility with Nitrox
Anyone planning to dive with Nitrox should consider getting a computer that has nitrox compatibility. It gives you the choice of selecting the nitrox percentage level that you will be using on the dive and will adjust the maximum depth and no decompression time automatically.

Wrist vs. Console
There are two different types of set ups when it comes to dive computers. You can get a console or a wrist dive computer. Currently, the more popular ones are the writs computers because they have been made to look like a watch. If you are the kind of diver who likes to put your instruments together, then a console dive computer may be ideal. Most likely if you can find a wrist computer, there is a console version of the same.

Computer compatibility
There are dive computers that can connect to your personal computer (PC). This works beautifully because you can easily download the details of your dive giving you a permanent record to refer to.

Air Integration
This is the latest trend where dive computers are concerned. You will be able to monitor how much air you have consumed using a transmitter.

Take your time to do some research for your dive computer and think about considerations when buying it. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below or feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

I am glad this forum exists, but this article seems too generic to be useful. At my workplace, our low-bid contracted computer dudes advised us: "We have a virus problem. Computer Viruses usually are found on the Internet"

The Captain Obvious commercial on TV went: "Hotel swimming pools usually have water in them. Unless they don't."

I was hoping for more information that this. Especially about reliability. How many other persons have stories to share about a dive computer locking up? Or accidentally getting put in Free Dive mode, and then refusing to act a Scuba computer for 24 hours? The legal eagles who thought that one up likely caused more harm than good.

Are we allowed to report things like a major manufacturer's latest big computer is a POS?

I sincerely want a good AI computer at a fair price. Because I've seen many time how quality never costs as much as it saves. Any real guidance for the earnest computer shopper would be appreciated.

I am glad this forum exists, but this article seems too generic to be useful.

But just maybe this is just a 'bait' post to get the link clicked... rather than a serious "GUIDE ON CHOOSING A DIVE COMPUTER" commentary. Not only is it rather generic it could also be debated to have errors and misinformation.

I don't think threads like this need feeding so will not comment on the content!

Last edited:
But just maybe this is just a 'bait' post to get the link clicked... rather than a serious "GUIDE ON CHOOSING A DIVE COMPUTER" commentary. Not only is it rather generic it could also be debated to have errors and misinformation.

I don't think threads like this need feeding so will not comment on the content!
Hi Tbar.. I shared my Blog to this threads because i want people to know about my company and our knowledge... Im sorry if to much Hyperlink there.. but i made it to make reader easier to move to other site...

...i want people to know about my company and our knowledge... Im sorry if to much Hyperlink there.. but i made it to make reader easier to move to other site...

That's why I call it bait. The original post provided no new or important information on this forum, and the link has no information regarding the thread topic. This is purely a post to get people to your site.

That's why I call it bait. The original post provided no new or important information on this forum, and the link has no information regarding the thread topic. This is purely a post to get people to your site.
Ahhh you mean from Nitrox link??? I'm Sorry about that buddy... I will remove it, thank you.. I Agree with you.. that links is not link to the right information... thank you..

Ahhh you mean from Nitrox link??? I'm Sorry about that buddy... I will remove it, thank you.. I Agree with you.. that links is not link to the right information... thank you..
Sorry - this is a pure clickbait post. None of the many hyperlinks take you to anything of substance on the misleading thread title - and the post content is basic, obvious info. Nothing to see here - move on (and don't follow the click bait!).

Back
Top Bottom