Guestimate of how many Underwater photographers Worldwide in 2014?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastnail

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear All,

I have recently taken an interest in underwater photography which has generated a couple of curiosity questions in me regarding the size of the Underwater photography population of divers as recently as 2014.

Due to the relatively high expense of Underwater camera equipment i cannot see that the numbers of underwater photographers (and Videographers included) word-wide would be more than a 100,000 people?

I tried searching online but very difficult to get any real answers.

I assume sales figures from Underwater Camera housing manufacturers would give an indication but their is no collective data as i can find.

Am i miles out and the worldwide underwater photography population is much larger than 100,000 divers?

I would be interested to have your valued opinions.

best regards,

Fastnail.

There are about 6M divers worldwide and 20 M snorkelers. If we estimate that 1/10 have a camera in the diver category and 1/50 snorkelers have a camera then you get about about 1M total cameras in the water. Seems reasonable to me, 100K seems quite low.
Bill

Billions and billions ;-)

You're mistaken about the "relatively hgh" cost of dive cameras. A GoPro can be had for a few hundred bucks. Smartphone housings are available for less than $300. Buy used, and you can get point & shoots for the price of a meal at a good restaurant.

Yes, you can spend $15,000 on dive camera gear. I wouldn't, but plenty of people do. I'll stick with my iPhone housings and my GoPro, and spend the money on trips. :)

I just hope all of the strobes don't go off at the same time!

I just hope all of the strobes don't go off at the same time!
And... Think of all the flash blinded fish swimming around worldwide!! [emoji85]
Billions!

There are about 6M divers worldwide and 20 M snorkelers. If we estimate that 1/10 have a camera in the diver category and 1/50 snorkelers have a camera then you get about about 1M total cameras in the water. Seems reasonable to me, 100K seems quite low.
Bill

Hi [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]bvanant,[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]Thank you for your reply, h[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]owever what do you base your figures on re the 6 Million divers worldwide and 20 Million snorkelers worldwide?
[/FONT]
Can you please provide a source for the figures you provided?

Thanks once again for your valued input (-:

---------- Post added October 14th, 2015 at 08:05 PM ----------

You're mistaken about the "relatively hgh" cost of dive cameras. A GoPro can be had for a few hundred bucks. Smartphone housings are available for less than $300. Buy used, and you can get point & shoots for the price of a meal at a good restaurant.

Yes, you can spend $15,000 on dive camera gear. I wouldn't, but plenty of people do. I'll stick with my iPhone housings and my GoPro, and spend the money on trips. :)

Hi Dirty-dog,

Haha yes i agree, some camera set ups look like underwater space stations...i love your financial philosophy re money for dive trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom