Guess I Should Introduce Myself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwater_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, so I joined back in the summer but disappeared for awhile, but I plan to post here much more now, so I guess I'll give my life story:

I guess my background is I grew up in a Canadian city called Thunder Bay, it's on the north side of Lake Superior, about 6 hours away from Minneapolis. My family had a camp/cottage on a relatively small lake where I would see intro to scuba classes going on sometimes (one day when I go back home I'll need to try diving there). I did a lot of snorkeling there with my Dad, who was a diver many many years ago (probably in the 70s, maybe 80s). My first taste of scuba was when I was around 13 and in Air Cadets, they took us to this intro to scuba thing, it was basically just spending time using scuba gear in the shallow end of the pool, snorkeling in the deeper end, and using a propulsion vehicle, but was a lot of fun. I think I did the same thing a second time the next year.

So now I'm 21, a computer science student at the University of Waterloo. As I'm in co-op (alternating school and work terms) I got an internship with Amazon.com last summer so ended up in Seattle. Being on the coast, never having seen the ocean before, making decent money, and having wanted to try diving since I was young, I convinced a buddy of mine from Waterloo also working at Amazon to join with me and signed up for an OW course. This was more fun than I had imagined and I just loved being underwater. After the course I got out diving 8 more times, 2 from a boat (which was great).

So now I've been stuck in Ontario in school since September, where I have no time to dive. Fortunately, I'm back out to Seattle in January and ready to get back in the water. I want to make sure in the next 4 months I take my AOW, Nitrox, Peak Performance Buoyancy, and possibly 1 or 2 other courses to improve my skills. My ultimate recreational goal is to take a wreck diving course, not sure when I'll be ready for this though.

I originally signed up here to ask about reading tidal charts, and the advice helped (although I still screwed up and got caught in tides I probably shouldn't have dove in given my skill level: granted it was tons of fun!) But now I'm looking to buy some gear and trying to ask questions and absorb information, and plan to stick around this time. I love diving, probably the best hobby I've picked up, and this forum is great.

Graeme

Graeme.

Welcome to SB!

There are quite a number of divers in the Seattle area, and I encourage you to get with them to do some introductory dives. (They'll know about the tides!)

I head over that way from time to time, and will be happy to advise you when I'll be in town if you'd like to dive with my buddy and myself. We can also show you around those locations where we generally tend to do most of our diving. There are many opportunities over there for you to explore different courses, and I hope you take time to review the diversity of opinions before spending your money.

Dive safe,

Doc

Graeme.

Welcome to SB!

There are quite a number of divers in the Seattle area, and I encourage you to get with them to do some introductory dives. (They'll know about the tides!)

I head over that way from time to time, and will be happy to advise you when I'll be in town if you'd like to dive with my buddy and myself. We can also show you around those locations where we generally tend to do most of our diving. There are many opportunities over there for you to explore different courses, and I hope you take time to review the diversity of opinions before spending your money.

Dive safe,

Doc
Thanks Doc :)

The tides normally aren't an issue beyond a slight inconvenience, it was only the dive site I went to near the Narrows that was a bit scary (although the tides were going the perfect direction - right towards the entry point - and couldn't be felt on the surface). I'll probably just be a bit more careful with site selection until I've taken the drift diver course.

Thanks for the offer, it's always good to have people who know the sites well (I can find the sites easy enough using the internet, the problem is finding the good spots underwater). The best dives I've been on were boat dives where the Captain dropped us right above known good spots. So if you're around, let me know.

Ya and nice thing about Seattle is there's a ton of dive shops and instructors around, with lots of courses to take year round. Since there won't be as much to do as the summer, I'm hoping to get in lots of diving in the next four months.

welcome aboard

Back
Top Bottom