GUE Section 1.6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
I got the point of this thread but you turned it to something else with this recertifying issue.

Did I turned it into something else?

DiveGolfSki:
Incidentally, GUE is the only agency .....

in·ci·den·tal·ly As a minor or subordinate matter: by profession a lawyer and incidentally a musician.
(also -dntl) Apart from the main subject; parenthetically.

Sorry, if I mislead you. It didn't want to hijack the thread. The comment was a parenthetical, minor point, aside, non-sequitur, digression, tangent ....

If you want to analyze the sentences, let's look at complete one (or two).

DiveGolfSki:
Incidentally, GUE is the only agency (I know) which requires re-certifying every three years (that is also in the guide). Happy swimming and testing.

The first one is correct. But the second one implies that re-certifying means swimming and testing. Which is not true. That's why I reacted. Incidentaly or not true is true and false is false.

MonkSeal:

The first one is correct. But the second one implies that re-certifying means swimming and testing. Which is not true. That's why I reacted. Incidentaly or not true is true and false is false.

You win. To quote a military saying "You're the strongest man in Connecticut...."

DiveGolfSki:
Did I turned it into something else?

in·ci·den·tal·ly As a minor or subordinate matter: by profession a lawyer and incidentally a musician.
(also -dntl) Apart from the main subject; parenthetically.

Sorry, if I mislead you. It didn't want to hijack the thread. The comment was a parenthetical, minor point, aside, non-sequitur, digression, tangent ....

Not to mention, deviation, diversion, excursion, and of course..tangential :crafty:

_Peri (drperi1)

I think it's interesting that the most energetic grammar corrections come from non-native speakers learning English for the first time. I certainly don't have anything against that. I think it's great. I work for a public school district. I can't tell you how much I wish our teachers had the same level of dedication.

As far as my original question goes, it's been answered a while back. Thanks.

Wijbrandus:
I think it's interesting that the most energetic grammar corrections come from non-native speakers learning English for the first time

:11: Grammar corrections??? I didn't think I made one???

Originally Posted by DiveGolfSki:
Incidentally, GUE is the only agency (I know) which requires re-certifying every three years (that is also in the guide). Happy swimming and testing.

MonkSeal is right about the IMPLICATION of the two sentences taken in one paragraph ...

However, I missed the carriage return before posting so it should have read:

Originally Posted by DiveGolfSki:
Incidentally, GUE is the only agency (I know) which requires re-certifying every three years (that is also in the guide).

Happy swimming and testing.

Sheeessh. That's why I "gave up" to prevent these SENTENCE STRUCTURE issues from being discussed. The last sentence was supposed to be a friendly sign-off not a redirection of this thread. :wink:

It's good that you got your answer.

Have a nice day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom