GUE Section 1.6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Section 1.6 states that any GUE student "must be physically and mentally fit." However, there is no elaboration on this point, so I'm assuming the definition is left up to the instructor to interpret as they see fit.

If you, as an instructor, had a student show up who was fat, yet was able to meet all of the requirements otherwise, would you allow them to take the course?

Considering the general shape of recreational divers that I've seen (myself included), I would say the large percentage would not meet my definition of physically fit. I'd like to know what the GUE definition is for the purposes of taking a Fundamentals course.

Wijbrandus:
Section 1.6 states that any GUE student "must be physically and mentally fit." However, there is no elaboration on this point, so I'm assuming the definition is left up to the instructor to interpret as they see fit.

If you, as an instructor, had a student show up who was fat, yet was able to meet all of the requirements otherwise, would you allow them to take the course?

Considering the general shape of recreational divers that I've seen (myself included), I would say the large percentage would not meet my definition of physically fit. I'd like to know what the GUE definition is for the purposes of taking a Fundamentals course.

Actually, there's been a lot of discussions on this particularly on this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=99107&page=1&pp=10

I'm not GUE but they do have a requirement regarding fitness:

GUE Policies & Standards 2.1.2.2 Prerequites for Recreational Diver Course

4. Must be able to swim a distance of at least 50 feet/15 meters on a breath hold.
5. Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in less than 14 minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection.

If you want their entire Policies & Standards, you can download it on:

http://www.gue.com/classroom/standards/PDF/GUE_Standards_2003v2a.pdf

Incidentally, GUE is the only agency (I know) which requires re-certifying every three years (that is also in the guide). Happy swimming and testing.

The definition of physically fit is not in the pdf either. It is simply a downloadable version of what is on the website. If you are saying that a swim test is the definition of physically fit, I disagree. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to me that defines comfort in the water, not a degree of fitness.

Wijbrandus:

This is question. I guess that's all I should have posted, but I wanted to show I had researched this before asking.

AFAIK it's up to the instructor but this very topic, and updating the fitness requirements to something more useful, is currently being bounced around on the Quest list.

Wijbrandus:
This is question. I guess that's all I should have posted, but I wanted to show I had researched this before asking.

The book, if I recall, actually addresses it a bit more. Even to the point of no smoking, aerobic / cardio exercise several times a week, balanced diet, etc.

I have to go dig my copy out - but any GUE instructor you speak with will be able to address it.

They're not trying to turn us all into twiggy, pasty vegans like some members of their organization - my DIR/F instructor is carnivore to the core. But looking around at the other recreational divers you see and grading yourself on a curve is setting the bar way too low. You're correct in saying the many recreational divers are not fit.

Diving isn't exercise. If your only exercise is diving you will never get into shape.

Diving can be strenuous, and you need to posess reserves of energy and stamina to combat fatigue and emergencies. You need strength and flexibility to manage situations, and the gear. You don't need to be ripped and rocked (I'm not) but you need to be fit (I am.) Becoming fit has changed my diving as much as its changed my life.

It is important.

---
Ken

Wijbrandus:
The definition of physically fit is not in the pdf either. It is simply a downloadable version of what is on the website. If you are saying that a swim test is the definition of physically fit, I disagree. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to me that defines comfort in the water, not a degree of fitness.

I'm NOT saying a swim test is a definition of physical fitness either. A swim test is a measure of physical fitness not a definition. You're right, I don't think GUE or any agency has defined "physical" or "mental" fitness. However, the CDC has:

"What does it mean to be physically "fit?" Physical fitness is defined as "a set of attributes that people have or achieve that relates to the ability to perform physical activity" (USDHHS, 1996). "

They go on and separate it into five main components:

Cardiorespiratory endurance
Muscular strength
Muscular endurance
Body composition
Flexibility

More of it is available on http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/components/

Your example, "If you, as an instructor, had a student show up who was fat, " is covered by Body composition.

All this may be moot and may simply come down to a qualitative judgment. Good luck on your quest to get a GUE to respond...

There's no real definition for a lot of the DIR stuff. I think it's generally clear whether someone has a clear focus on physical and mental fitness, dive planning, a committment to skills, etc. I also think it doesn't matter especially much for a Fundies class, but the expectations of desire, philosophy, and committment to honestly doing it right surely get ratcheted up quickly for any of their Tech or Cave classes.

Ask your instructor..

jonnythan:
AFAIK it's up to the instructor but this very topic, and updating the fitness requirements to something more useful, is currently being bounced around on the Quest list.

As a coach of some repute, I often have to administer fitness tests of different types to my players. One thing I have learned is that specificity to task is crucial.

If you look at a runner who does 10k runs competitively, you'd say that person is obviously fit. Ask that same runner to do 10, 100 yard sprints in under 20 seconds with 30 seconds rest between, and they'd nearly die. Though my last group of 14 year old girls can do that test fairly easily. Take that same group of "fit" girls and ask them to swim 300 yards, and half would drown inside 100 yards.

There are many kinds of fitness and many ways to test for it. It is important that for diving we test both aerobic and anerobic fitness, in my opinion. What you can do steady state, with a full supply of oxygen is aerobic. What you can do under stress without a full supply of oxygen is anerobic.

For full fitness training, both types of activities should be performed. There is also the mental aspect. An experienced diver with 200, 500, 1000 dives, will likely react to a free flowing regulator in a way that probably does not jeapordize their safety. A diver with 10 logged dives may respond quite differently. A lack of familiarity with the environment induces stress. A silt out in a cave is no different a scenario than turning the lights off, yet it seems more stressful from accounts I read.

So what is fit? And how should you test for it. If you were to use a balance of anerobic and aerobic tests, it is doubtful that half, maybe even 1/3 of recreational divers would pass it. Are these people not suited to dive? Should the requirement be different for those pursuing technical diving? Overhead environents? Deep diving?

Personally, I think the basic swim test and a basic run a mile in 15 minutes should suffice for an OW fitness test. However, we all know there are a LOT of divers who would be disqualified on these grounds. I think you should be able to do 2 10 minute miles, and a 300-400 yard swim for technical training. In that regard GUE has it about right. And I say this knowing that at present, I'd fail and this is in fact the type of diving I wish to pursue. If I can't do a basic swim, and a decent run, I have no business calling myself a technical diver, and being in life-threatening situations underwater.

That's the way I see it.

PerroneFord,

I think what you've written here is quite reasonable and although I don't know if it is what GUE requires, I think they'd agree with it from a philosophical standpoint.

In my opinion, the bar should be raised as one proceeds from DIR-F to higher levels of training.

Christian

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom