GUE Section 1.6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki:
Incidentally, GUE is the only agency (I know) which requires re-certifying every three years (that is also in the guide). Happy swimming and testing.

Re-cetifying doesn't mean swimming and testing.

MonkSeal:
Re-cetifying doesn't mean swimming and testing.

You are right. Does that mean you can be:

a. physically UNFIT (obese, huff and puff lifting your mask to your head) and Mentally NUTS (lusts after DamselFish and laughs out loud at Clown Fish jokes)
b. smoke like a chimney.

but have made 25 dives within three years and can provide proof pursuant to Section 1.8.5, Viola ... you're a GUE certifed again for another three years?

DiveGolfSki:

a. physically UNFIT (obese, huff and puff lifting your mask to your head) and Mentally NUTS (lusts after DamselFish and laughs out loud at Clown Fish jokes)
b. smoke like a chimney.

but have made 25 dives within three years and can provide proof pursuant to Section 1.8.5, Viola ... you're a GUE certifed again for another three years?

I don't know if your're familiar with DIR concepts. But everything you do, you do for yourself and being DIR doesn't mean being certified (it's not the main goal) but to dive according to the DIR principles for your own safety and fun. There's no DIR police that will take your card away if you're unfit or if you don't dive according DIR philosophy. GUE C-card is not something that is used to wave around and show how tough guy you are. :dazzler1:

DiveGolfSki:

b. smoke like a chimney.

It would seem so, but you certainly wouldn't be DIR. Like I said this topic is being talked about within GUE.. whether it's reasonable or practical to require re-testing for fitness guidelines is not an easy question to answer. In the conditions you outlined, further GUE education would probably not be allowed..

MonkSeal:
I don't know if your're familiar with DIR concepts. But everything you do, you do for yourself and being DIR doesn't mean being certified (it's not the main goal) but to dive according to the DIR principles for your own safety and fun. There's no DIR police that will take your card away if you're unfit or if you don't dive according DIR philosophy. GUE C-card is not something that is used to wave around and show how tough guy you are. :dazzler1:

I, unfortunately, am familiar with DIR philosophies (a better word ... I believe) and have adopted some (except for the smoking ... a cigar is great after a dive :crafty: ). GUE and DIR often seem to be synonymous but it just hasn't made the policies and procedures has it (as Jonnythan has mentioned).

There's do DIR Police???? :11: Maybe so, but Dan Voker on the GUE Site states "And of course, keep in mind an even bigger rule than all others mentioned in this article--Rule number one is don't dive with unsafe divers. Try to dive only with people you know are safe, and who dive the same procedures and configurations you do. If you are "stuck" with someone you see gearing up badly, with a poor configuration, try a good natured explanation of why the "Doing it Right" system would have him/her configured differently. Perhaps you can get them safer on this dive. You can always look around on a boat for someone who seems closer to your gear and diving mind set, and try to buddy up with them."

He's not a policeman but a "fashion" police? How do you try a good natured explanation ... "whoa hombre you using an air inflator as a octo? your primary reg is only 30 inches ... mine's 7 feet (hose envy)".

What next? "Good Natured" comments on fitness? "You don't really want to eat that Big Mac do you ... "

I don't mean to disparage DIR philosophies but the point of this thread was whether or not physical fitness was defined in the GUE "handbook" and it's not. However, I think it's not a great leap of faith to go from GUE Cert + DIR = Fitness = Re-Cert.

There may not be any DIR police, but GUE instructors are certainly within their rights to deny further GUE training to someone who doesn't abide by their philosophies. The same way that other cave training agencies allow their insturctors deny a card to someone who is technically competent but doesn't have a safe attitude.

StSomewhere:
There may not be any DIR police, but GUE instructors are certainly within their rights to deny further GUE training to someone who doesn't abide by their philosophies. The same way that other cave training agencies allow their insturctors deny a card to someone who is technically competent but doesn't have a safe attitude.

They do exist!!! :11:

The two GUE instructors that taught my DIR-f last year were far from the classical "physical specimen" I expected.
After reading the JJ book and seeing the pictures of him and some of the other instructors/staff, I went into the class a bit intimidated; even though I was in above average shape at the time.
One of the instructors even commented during the brief talk about fitness/diet that it was a challenge he fought with daily (all while rubbing his rather large belly Buddah style).
Don't get me wrong, the two guys were obviously very skilled divers, but not all GUE professionals are the Navy SEAL poster boys that appear in the book.

DiveGolfSki:
He's not a policeman but a "fashion" police? How do you try a good natured explanation ... "whoa hombre you using an air inflator as a octo? your primary reg is only 30 inches ... mine's 7 feet (hose envy)".

Sometimes it's just easier to stay out of the water if you can't find buddy you can rely on.

DiveGolfSki:
...the point of this thread was whether or not physical fitness was defined in the GUE "handbook" ...

I got the point of this thread but you turned it to something else with this recertifying issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom