GUE Rec Ascent Profile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it not GUE that will not allow a shearwater teric to be used because of no access to gf settings at depth?
I don't believe any agency has such a rule. I believe that is just John Chatterton's rule for his classes.

Most people do NOT have Shearwaters....the safety stop is still a GOOD idea.

yes it is a good idea. my point is , is that it is not the maditory best option. it is the best option based on what you dont know. it is the same as telling students that you NEED to do a 3 minute stop on every dive. NOT TRUE. IT is an over use of one rule fits all.

Most people do NOT have Shearwaters....the safety stop is still a GOOD idea.
I use Shearwaters, and if I were diving by myself, I would use their advanced functions for completing a NDL dive. So far, I have not done an NDL dive with anyone who also has a Shearwater, so I wait for them to complete their safety stops before I ascend with them, even if my computers indicate a stop is not necessary.

it is the same as telling students that you NEED to do a 3 minute stop on every dive.
I prefer to tell students that unless you have better information, you need to do a safety stop on deep and near-NDL dives, and it doesn't hurt to do them on all dives. And then take at least one minute to get to the surface from the safety stop.

I certainly don't know the practices and polcies of all the many agencies out there, but I don't know any that officially tell students that they must or even should do a safety stop on all dives.

I prefer to tell students that unless you have better information, you need to do a safety stop on deep and near-NDL dives, and it doesn't hurt to do them on all dives. And then take at least one minute to get to the surface from the safety stop.

that is a wise way to look at it. the statement of " unless you have better information "" makes all the difference. Unfortunately new divers do not have any usable understanding of deco as it relates to rec diving and have been taught to use global rules and view them as critical aspects. they are sold computers that the shops need to move with no knowledge of what they can and can not do. Marketing IMO is the biggest threat to diving. As one instructor said in a post long ago that one of his primary jobs as an instructor is to sell gear for the shop owner. 10 students means 5 grand or so of sales per class for the shop.

I certainly don't know the practices and polcies of all the many agencies out there, but I don't know any that officially tell students that they must or even should do a safety stop on all dives.
However, you do hear that a lot on dive boats, especially liveaboards. So it is an operator statement, not an agency statement.

that is a wise way to look at it. the statement of " unless you have better information "" makes all the difference. Unfortunately new divers do not have any usable understanding of deco as it relates to rec diving and have been taught to use global rules and view them as critical aspects. they are sold computers that the shops need to move with no knowledge of what they can and can not do. Marketing IMO is the biggest threat to diving. As one instructor said in a post long ago that one of his primary jobs as an instructor is to sell gear for the shop owner. 10 students means 5 grand or so of sales per class for the shop.
And there are a fair number of instructors who do NOT work for shops, even though it is getting harder and harder.

However, you do hear that a lot on dive boats, especially liveaboards. So it is an operator statement, not an agency statement.
Yep, and they will lie about it. The last time I was on a liveaboard, the director of diving made two false statements about the limitations on our diving, and both times he said they had no choice, because those rules were PADI requirements. Leaving aside the fact that PADI has no authority to set requirements for liveaboards, in neither case was the supposed rule a PADI policy. Not wanting to make a scene, I talked with him about each rule, and he admitted that it was company policy, and it had nothing to do with PADI. He did not say this, but it was obvious that by saying they were PADI rules, he could get the customers to direct their anger at PADI, not the company.

Back
Top Bottom