Question GUE - Is it much different to traditional agencies like SSI or PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And yes i did read that backward finning is extremely hard.
I was actually lucky when learning the back kick and got a super helpful tip.
So first I tried it by myself on day 1 on a 100% recreational LOB, and there was a guy who saw me and said: "once you have your legs extended and the fins tips pointing out, just spread your legs, thats all"
On day 2 that tip made all the difference and everything clicked and the back kick happened. After that it was just finessing it

maybe it will help you as well

Honestly the recommendation to dive more really isn't a bad one. If you can dive with people who do what you are trying to learn that even better.
Getting a pint and BSing after is better still.
That's how I've picked up around 75% of my trim and buoyancy skills.

When I asked about swimming backwards, they said that’s in technical course - so can’t teach privately.
That is also so weird to me that they are being so anal about it. Just explain to the guy how to back kick and let him go try it..

I get there is the commercial side for them, but still, that sentence really caught my eye because I always received so many suggestions and tips from different instructors without having to sign up for a course

@Manchz

You have thought about your own individual skills and what you want to learn and improve on.
Have you thought about how this will affect how you dive with others?

Best thing you can do is listen to what John Kendall told you - and remember it's all about fun - don't let your goals affect your enjoyment of diving -keep an open mind and have a smile on your face :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom