GUE Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WHy is there an age limit of 18 on this course compared to 21 for the others. Also why is it not based on the dier's competence. I'm sure that a 50 yr old with only 70 or so dives is more likely to make bad decisions than a fairly experienced 17 yr old diver with 200+ logged dives.

The minimum age is 16 for fundies, 18 for cave and tech.

Ohh ok ok well I guess it was wrong on the website I was reading. But the point I was getting at, Shouldn't it be judged on the competence of the diver, rather than on specific ages?

Shouldn't it be judged on the competence of the diver, rather than on specific ages?

I wish, but liability seems to be a large bit of the reason. Although it [fundies] is a tough/advanced class, there is practically no risk aside from those that are regularly associated with diving. If it was on competence, and if the guardians would waive the liability on a dive to dive basis, there would be a few more teens in the caves or on deco.

If you're older than 16, why are you complaining?
I personally feel that it's a maturity thing. You can be very competent but without maturity and a good attitude...

jaybombs25:
Ohh ok ok well I guess it was wrong on the website I was reading. But the point I was getting at, Shouldn't it be judged on the competence of the diver, rather than on specific ages?
And how would you judge that before allowing the diver to register for the class? I think one purpose of fundies is to ensure competence before allowing a diver to move to more advanced training.

My guess is that they've made a decision that the kind of mature judgment they want in their divers doesn't generally develop until after the age of 16, and my guess is that they're probably right. Setting a limit means that the instructors don't have to spend time evaluating each young applicant on a case-by-case basis. Like the smoking thing, GUE does have the right to make decisions about how they train. Other agencies have age limits, too.

I don't see any other agencies accepting under 18 students into deco or cave classes. You have to be able to assume risk for yourself, not via a guardian.

If you can't wait, you aren't mature enough anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom